AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought Coraline on Blu Ray yesterday with 3D glasses, and watched it last night. Had some problems but don't know where the issue lies.

the film is encoded on Blu Ray at 1080P resolution, but my display supports only 1080i.

BD player is a Sony and set to output 1080i, that being the highest my screen supports. AV receiver is a Yamaha and video output is set to "THRU" so the only scaling or processing is at "front end" to give me 1080i output from the player, and at "back end" where the LCD TV (a Samsung) handles the input.

At the TV most "post processing" is turned off such as noise reduction, since I have been careful to get as close to "straight wire" as possible from source to display. I have calibrated carefully the "Custom" settings for colour balance, but also use Standard and Dynamic mode frequently according to source.

Resolution of the display is 768 x 1366, so vertical resolution is in between 720 and 1080, therefore there must be some scaling going on, upscaling of 720 or downscaling (in this case) of 1080, but I have always been happy with the HD picture quality off Blu Ray and Sky HD box.

So, the problem was that when watching Coraline with the 2D specs provided myself and three others all found the picture very "Green", there were hints of other colours, her blue hair occasionally looked blue, and her yellow coat slightly yellow, but very little if any reds.

Glasses are the freebie Red/Green variety not the polarising type you get in the cinema these days, they came with the disk.

3D effect was very good on the most part nice and sharp, it was just the colour balance that was dreadful.#

Any ideas forum?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
most 3d movies arent going to look as good as the 2d version. the introduction of the red/green colors to make the 3d effect will not completely go away when watching. it's a very crude way of getting a fake 3d effect from a 2d panel. plus the glasses you are using cost less than a penny to make, so they arent making the colors any better on the screen.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Are you sure that the disk is encoded in 1080p and not in 720p. In any case I thing that there will be less distortion of the 3D images caused by interlacing, de-interlacing and scaling if you send the content to your 1366x768 TV in 720p instead of 1080i.

Did you also try playing the disk in 2D mode?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2D looks fine lovely colours and great detail, but 2D obviously.

The description on the box says:

1080p high definition wide screen

480i/p standard definition

So where should I set 720p, at source (the Sony BD player), or inside the Yamaha AV receiver which also has a scaler built in. I would guess in the player, if it has such a feature (I will check).

You are right about the cheap red/green glasses they are terrible.

Guy

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Send the 1080p to the display and let the diplay downscale it to 1366x768 Since you send true 720p(which is 1280x720) to the display then the display will have to upscale it to 1366x768. And this would result in two scaling operaions instead of only one.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guygamps /forum/post/18147546

2D looks fine lovely colours and great detail, but 2D obviously.

The description on the box says:

1080p high definition wide screen

480i/p standard definition

So where should I set 720p, at source (the Sony BD player), or inside the Yamaha AV receiver which also has a scaler built in. I would guess in the player, if it has such a feature (I will check).

You are right about the cheap red/green glasses they are terrible.

Guy

In the player.

Colors are going to be less than ideal with the anaglyph glasses, by the way. That's just the nature of that type of 3D presentation.

The movie is encoded at 1080p24 on the disc.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen /forum/post/18147962

In the player.

Colors are going to be less than ideal with the anaglyph glasses, by the way. That's just the nature of that type of 3D presentation.

The movie is encoded at 1080p24 on the disc.

Correct - the anaglyph technique for 3D (as used for all Blu-ray and DVD 3D releases up until now) does not really work properly for color video (or film) as it is simply not capable to displaying the correct colors. That's why, contrary to common believe, it was not really used to any extent for theatrically movies, even back in the 1950's (polarized glasses were normally used in theaters). However from the 1950's it has been used for 3D comic books. Anaglyph is a poor technical solution for displaying 3D movies and that is why we now have a new generation of 3D techniques coming to market starting later this year that are capable of properly displaying 3D movies via video (i.e., requiring use of LCD shutter glasses or polarized glasses) while preserving the correct colors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.