AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Nvidia glasses are way overpriced at $150. They are nicer than the $60 Samsung ones. I was at CES this year and every TV manufacturer had their own, some better than others as far as weight and general comfortability.

A quick search doesn't show a lot of them available for sale yet. I want to start playing games in 3d on my Mits DLP, but don't want to shell out $350 for the Nvidia kit, or stuck with heavy uncomfortable glasses. I also have a Radeon card, so I was planning on using the free iZ3D driver.

Anyone know where to get compatible comfortable glasses on the cheap. Is Nvidia and Samsung the only option right now?

· Registered
551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwk /forum/post/18125326

The Nvidia glasses are way overpriced at $150. They are nicer than the $60 Samsung ones. I was at CES this year and every TV manufacturer had their own, some better than others as far as weight and general comfortability.

A quick search doesn't show a lot of them available for sale yet. I want to start playing games in 3d on my Mits DLP, but don't want to shell out $350 for the Nvidia kit, or stuck with heavy uncomfortable glasses. I also have a Radeon card, so I was planning on using the free iZ3D driver.

Anyone know where to get compatible comfortable glasses on the cheap. Is Nvidia and Samsung the only option right now?

I also use the IO Display Systems glasses. Bought two pair with emitter for $112 plus shipping. You probably won't like them since they are not streamlined but I used them over 70 hours playing Avatar on Xbox360, no PC required. The 3D is amazing. Unfortunatelly Avatar is the only available game in 3D unless you use Nvidea with powerful PC and convert 2D games to 3D.

· Registered
14 Posts
I'm still a little confused on the necessity of using a computer. I know Avatar can be played on the 360 without a computer. What about 3d ready movies (e.g., IMAX 3D, certain Dreamworks)? I have a DLP, 360, and Ps3 and am interested in getting a 3d setup, but I would rather not have to run through my pc.

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. That is a much better deal. Yeah, unfortunately, they aren't very stylish, but it's not like I'll be wearing them anywhere but in front of my tv.

I didn't know the Xbox was capable of the 3d dlp format. I guess it's really no different than a pc, but figured it would take MS much longer write/buy their driver and incorporate it into the OS.

I would guess by Christmas we'll see quite a few more brands out there. But $112 isn't too bad.

· Registered
7,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhynokey /forum/post/18131293

I'm still a little confused on the necessity of using a computer. I know Avatar can be played on the 360 without a computer. What about 3d ready movies (e.g., IMAX 3D, certain Dreamworks)? I have a DLP, 360, and Ps3 and am interested in getting a 3d setup, but I would rather not have to run through my pc.

Right now, that's the only way of getting 3D to the display. Once 3D Blu-Ray hits the market, a PC won't be required.

· Registered
7,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 /forum/post/18128978

I also use the IO Display Systems glasses. Bought two pair with emitter for $112 plus shipping. You probably won't like them since they are not streamlined but I used them over 70 hours playing Avatar on Xbox360, no PC required. The 3D is amazing. Unfortunatelly Avatar is the only available game in 3D unless you use Nvidea with powerful PC and convert 2D games to 3D.

You can use the iz3D driver with nvidia or ATI graphics cards, and your IO glasses will work just fine, that's what I use.

· Registered
1,169 Posts
I am waiting patiently for this 3D to finally get some love. My 3D DLP isn't getting any newer! One of these days the consoles will get a 3D driver and these games will take off. Next3D supposedly has a lot of 3D content coming, but their site hasn't been updated in forever. Once we remove the PC from the mix and can get 3D content on the PS3 or Xbox360 then I'm sold!!!

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/0...avid-cole.html

http://next3d.com/press.html

· Registered
716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 /forum/post/18128978

Unfortunatelly Avatar is the only available game in 3D unless you use Nvidea with powerful PC and convert 2D games to 3D.

There are currently three titles developed for nvidia 3d vision: Batman Arkham Asylum, Biohazard 5 and Resident Evil 5.

The advantage to the nvidia solution is the people making the drivers are putting the 3d wrapper on it, so support will always be superior. Many developers are going back to fix things for 3d in their games thanks to nvidia, so "2d conversion" is also misleading.

Here's a full list of pc games and their ratings for 3d compatibility:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_3D_Games.html

· Registered
335 Posts
I have been using the Samsung kit for a few weeks now and they are pretty cool. I play the Avatar game and I use the 3d software that was bundled with the kit on my laptop. Very cool stuff. Can't wait for some more content.

· Registered
1,205 Posts
XpanD is a very reliable maker of 3D hardware for both commercial theaters and home use.

I have no intention of having to retro one of our PCs for access to 3D content as we are not gamers in our house.

I'm confident that a LOT of 3D sources will emerge in the market this year and, hopefully, dvd players with 3D capability will emerge that will not require buying into B.Ray.

Remember we are at the beginning of the 3D rollout - a LOT of new approaches for source platforms will be on the market.

· Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komoto /forum/post/18155014

There are currently three titles developed for nvidia 3d vision: Batman Arkham Asylum, Biohazard 5 and Resident Evil 5.

Biohazard 5 and Resident Evil 5 are in fact the same game (different titles in different countries).

· Registered
7,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhynokey /forum/post/18131293

All movies released to date on Blu-ray or DVD use red/blue colored lens (i.e., anaglyph) glasses, not LCD shutter glasses, to achieve the 3D effect and do a really poor job since they cannot preserve correct colors in the video image. The new generation of 3D sources (e.g., Blu-ray 3D) that are being introduced later this year are compatible with a new generation of 3D compatible displays operating at 120Hz or higher along with LCD shutter glasses. We are still a few months away from the first such 3D displays and the first Blu-ray 3D movies released in this format. The Mits and Samsung DLP rear projection HDTVs built over the past couple of years can support 3D but currently only from computers and will require and exteranal adapter box to be compatiable with the new 3D video sources. Sony has just started shipping their new series of BD players that are upgradable (via a mid-2010 firmware update) to support Blu-ray 3D and the PS3 will also get a mid-year firmware update. Blu-ray 3D players are also coming within the next few months from Panasonic and other manufacturers.

· Registered
7,613 Posts
Also to note with the older DLPs, it is possible for a CE company to add the TI checkerboard method (which our DLPs use for 3D) to their 3D BD player, but it's not a given. I believe Sigma Designs already has a SoC that can do the appropriate conversion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.