AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm getting ready to jump into the world of HD. I'm buying all new, TV, Speakers, Receiver, Blue Ray and upgrading my Dish. I do not clam to be a tech person on this, but I get the basics.

Here is my question - 3D-enabled HDMI pass-through technology, what is this????

I stopped at Best Buy and one of the very nice sales staff told me if I run all my HDMI thru a receiver, you want one with "pass through" so I do NOT need to keep my receiver on all the time.

Is this correct?

The receiver I want to buy is the Denon AVR 591

Any help would be great, its been years since I put a post on this site, but the last post I got tons of help......Thanks!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
The Denon AVR-591 is a great starter 3d enable receiver...

There are plenty of receivers that "pass through HDMI 3d" but need you to turn the receiver on. Personally that doesn't bother be cause I perfer my surround sound over my TV-speakers

The Denon AVR-591 is the only receiver in the budget category that can pass through the hdmi components in standby or off mode so no need to turn the receiver on

Additionally if you have any non HDMI components like a Wii the AVR-591 will still route the video signal through the singal HDMI cable running to the Tv

·
Registered
314 Posts
From my understanding and I could be wrong, you need version 1.4 HDMI cables to run 3D. though I have seen some posts saying people have successfully done 3D via 1.3 cables... My same question would be why do you want to have your receiver and surround sound turned off when watching HDTV or movies

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaii33 /forum/post/19609980

Receiver will be on for me, but my wife would like to just have the TV and watch a show. You guys think the Denon AVR 591 has the pass thru technology that I need?

I am pretty sure it passes stuff through when the receiver is in standby mode but you could check in the Amps and Receivers forum

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
When I saw your first post I said Why the Hell Would Somebody Watch a 3D movie with the Receiver Off?

But later I saw the post about the wife and watching just TV shows.

I still dont get it, because even the news and those entertainment shows sound better thru the HT speakers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My wife would still have a 8-track in the car, a record player and just use her 45's, but would need a dime on the head to keep the needle from skipping. She is NOT into the electronic world at all. Our current TV has a broken off/on switch, no remotes work on it(have tried 4 universal's and no luck), we adjust volume by sending our 8yr old over to the TV. Its a 10yr old tube TV and she was shocked that I was heading out to be a new TV. Yikes!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts