AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here is my question..

How is the 3d function on these TV's implemented.. The input for PC's is limited to 60hz - but the statement by Samsung states "Samsung's 3D-enabled HDTVS, which play at 120 frames per second, deliver two seperate streams of 3D video: one to the left eye, the other to the right." How is this possible when the input frame rate is only 60hz?

Am I missing something here? Also, from Samsungs website, I could not find any real information about this function other than it it supported.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have not been able to find much information about this either. I mostly see it as a nifty marketing bullet for the in-store displays.

Best I understand, it really depends on the software and, especially, the drivers on the PC. The TV then able to interpret the signal from the TV and use it to control the dongle that plugs into the back of the set. Basically this is a transmitter that tells the shutter glasses when to "blink".

I think the big, glaring weak link is that nVidia has not released updated 3D drivers in a very long time and apparently has no plans to do so. I think you can ultimately "blame" that on the fact that CRT technology is now basically extinct.

Aside from PC games (which are also, let's say, on the endangered species list) there really is not much content available, to boot.

I think the one entity that could really pull something like this off would be Sony. They have a large interest in each of the pieces of the puzzle. They have a huge content library, they have the PS3 and Blu-ray player source device, and they also make displays. More than anybody else, I think they are in position to really make something like this happen.

It seems like a no-brainer to me, but then again, 3D movies have yet to really catch on, 50+ years later.

Gerald

1 - 2 of 2 Posts