AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering either building a video server with MyHD or similar card, or purchasing a 3rd gen HDTV receiver to go with my 65" Mitsubishi 1080i.

Aside from the fact that a receiver cannot record, my main concern is picture quality. I have heard that the 3rd gen receivers can pull in a better HDTV signal (my antennae is in the attic).

I'm also considering just buying a Panasonic DVD-RP82 or Denon DVD 900 both with Faroujda to play back DVD+R instead of trying to play from computer (again, image quality is primary concern) - I assume I can output to the HDTV from MyHD and play using PowerDVD.

The HTDV would be the only monitor for the video server.

1. As far as image quality and reception goes - will I have better luck with discreet components or with a video server?

2. Any comments on the hassle factor of day to day viewing of HDTV and DVD?

3. Are any material changes about to happen (better equipment)?

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I can only answer a couple of your questions...

First off PowerDVD is not know for that great of picture quality, I would got with the TT or Sonic drivers and Zoom Player.

1. Not sure on 3rd gen recievers, but there have been comparisons on HDTV cards and previous gen STB recievers. The reviews have been mixed. Some report better reception with the HDTV cards, others do not.

I assume you already know that HDTV Cards can only recieve OTA and not Satellite).

2. I do not see any hastle factor, as I run the video card output through the pass through cable. Switching back and forth is as simple as pressing a button on the remote. The remote factor may be an issue unless you are using one of the universal remotes or a pronto.

3. I can not answer as I do not know.

I guess another question for you is how many boxes do you want? you are already talking about seperate boxes for DVD player and HDTV stb.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The STB is going to be much easier to set up and use.

I use my MITS HD5 for most viewing.

I went with the MYHD for recording. The card has a lot of promise and the recordings are excellent once you get it working. They are working very hard to improve the product. At this point you have to like messing with computers and view it as a hobby.

How about both?:D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jldet5 - I'd love to have both, but aside from money issues in depressed telecom corridor down here in TX (and wife tends to notice any shiny new objects added to my alter honoring the god of technology) - I ony have 2 possible Hi def inputs on Mitsubishi WS-65905 - one for the DVD with max of 480p and the other for the 1080i.

As an early adopter - I guess I'm gonna have to deal with a a few arrows.

The MITS HD5 is a receiver? If you had your choice today of a component receiver - what would be your choice?

·
Registered
106 Posts
lescaudle-

I have a Mits HDR5 stb with my mits 65908 and the myhd card. The myhd card picture is defineately sharper. I agree, you have to enjoy tinkering with computers. The stb is definately easier to use. The myhd card does lock windows up every once in a while, but generally works great. I got it to record ota on CBS & Fox (only ones available here). Very pleased. I switch between the 2 with an inday 4 port component switcher automatically with my mx500 remote and everything changes, input and sound. It's a beautiful thing.

:)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lescaudle
jldet5 - I'd love to have both, but aside from money issues in depressed telecom corridor down here in TX (and wife tends to notice any shiny new objects added to my alter honoring the god of technology) - I ony have 2 possible Hi def inputs on Mitsubishi WS-65905 - one for the DVD with max of 480p and the other for the 1080i.

As an early adopter - I guess I'm gonna have to deal with a a few arrows.

The MITS HD5 is a receiver? If you had your choice today of a component receiver - what would be your choice?

They don't make the HD5 and its not 3rd gen. I think a lot of people are going with the samsungs but I also heard good things about zenith. I'm not in the market for this right now but I'd do some research between those two and my HD5. Look out for noisy fans. One of the things I like about the HD5 is that it has no fans. One of things alot of people hate about the HD5 is that it has to be postioned correctly so that it doesn't get hot. It needs airflow. I had mine sitting in a large cabinet section by itself and that worked until I added a VCR. I now have my HD5 sitting on end with the power light up (heatsink on top) next to the TV. Since its the same color as my MITS TV it blends right in. The HD5 also comes with a RF remote. So you could hide it out back but then your stuck using the RF remote.

As far as your lack of component ins I think a lot of us are in the position. Sounds like Stuat found a good solution.

I'm actually running my HD5 to a SVHS machine and fairly happy with it. The tape quality is noticeable though which is why I embarked on the HTPC quest. Viewing the HD5 through the SVHS live is still quite nice. So you could try the SVIDEO hookup also. Granted it is a step down.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stuatwork
lescaudle-

I have a Mits HDR5 stb with my mits 65908 and the myhd card. The myhd card picture is defineately sharper. I agree, you have to enjoy tinkering with computers. The stb is definately easier to use. The myhd card does lock windows up every once in a while, but generally works great. I got it to record ota on CBS & Fox (only ones available here). Very pleased. I switch between the 2 with an inday 4 port component switcher automatically with my mx500 remote and everything changes, input and sound. It's a beautiful thing.

:)
I was able to cure the lockups by installing the .2 beta driver fresh on a fresh install of XP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.