AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3D: Getting to Know the Hardware

By Stephen Hopkins
Taking the plunge into 3D home entertainment? Here are some components you'll need to know about.

After last week's class on 3D: Getting to Know the Basics, we're moving on to the nuts and bolts ... the hardware you'll need to to get your own 3D theater up and running in time for poison arrows, missiles, and Smurf-a-hontas to fly past your Berklines.

Here are some FAQs.

Will I need a new display to enjoy 3D? If so, why?

To avoid a 3D format war, HDMI Licensing, LCC has released the 3D portion of the HDMI 1.4 spec for incorporation by all licensees, not just consortium members.

The spec outlines Full HD 3D as being able to present a 1080p frame at 60Hz refresh to EACH eye. Since each eye sees its own frame, and everyone I know has two eyes, this means the combined signal will need to support 1080p at 120Hz.

While many current displays are capable of refreshing at a 120Hz or higher, 120Hz INPUT signals are not supported by the current HDMI 1.3a spec. There are other more technical issues regarding LCD response time and processing power, but the 120Hz input requirement is the main consideration. Other lower resolutions outside of Full HD 3D may be added in the HDMI 1.4a spec, but that's mostly speculation.

Click here to continue.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Interesting read. I'm a little confused at all the information though, with each manufacturer releasing different stuff.

The article mentions that HDMI 1.3a probably won't be able to do 3D, yet the Sony PS3 is supposed to get an update, and the PS3 is HDMI 1.3.

The article mentions Mitsubishi DLPs - are all other DLPs the same (Samsung, etc)?

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
New display? New Blu-Ray player? New HDMI cables?
For a technology that is still wet behind the ears?

Ha! I'm not going to worry about 3D TV for a few years.

Even Fox is not releasing "Avatar" in 3D on Blu-Ray in 2010. They said they will wait until the 3D TV technology catches up with the 3D theater technology. Maybe 2011, 2012?

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...&utm_medium=rp
Quote:
James Cameron, who postponed the making of “Avatar” in order for 3D technology to catch up, is waiting for the fledgling home 3D market to do the same before the 3D Blu-ray version will be released.

I bought a 60" Sony Bravia HDTV two years ago. This year I finally got a Blu-Ray player. While I loved the HDTV cable signals, upscaling SD DVDs were good enough until Blu-Ray player prices came down. Plus waiting for the HD DVD/Blu-Ray battle to end. So, I'm not about to jump into something brand new while manufacturers still have not decided on one method. They all seem to be doing it slightly different ways.

This is probably what Fox is waiting for, too -- for winner and losers.

I waited until the 120Hz HDTV displays hit the market, which were a big improvement over the 1st gen 60Hz HDTV displays. I'm glad I waited.

I'm sure there will be similar improvements in 3D TV technology over the next two or three years. THEN, I will buy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts