AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if 3D glasses like the ones that elsa makes , work with an lcd projector? My projector is capable of high refresh rate. As anyone ever tried it? Just curious.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have a couple sets of Steroscopic glasses... specifically one for the Asus 7700 Card.

For some reason, the card will not recognize my Proxima, I was SOOO hoping to play Elite Forces in full 3D.. SIGH oh well.. next time.

------------------
Klutzo,

the newbie HT Boy.

BA mains, Energy surrounds and sub.

Proxima DX3 main FP

Sharpvision Backup FP

Sony Wega aux monitor

Dalite 2.8 Gain screen

Sega Dreamcast (various controllers)

www.klutzoplex.f2s.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have done some research on the internet and I saw conflicting reports that it works and that it doesn't. I just want to make sure that before I invest money in getting 3D glasses, that it will work with an Lcd projector.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
It doesn't work. Believe me I've tried. The reason for this is that the LCD panel cannot keep up, and there's a significant lag from the signal enters the projector and until it's digitized and displayed. You simply cannot get sync. The only possible way to do this is if you had a PJ with it's own LCD sync pulse transmitter - and if the panel was good enough to keep up with the rapid changes needed. Just because a projector can take a high refresh rate as input doesn't necessarily mean that the panel itself keeps up. CRT projectors should work however due to the technology being the same as in pc monitors.

------------------

/frode

[This message has been edited by Frode (edited 06-05-2001).]

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Since unclebenz asked about lcd projectors that was what I was referring to when I said it doesn't work. It's a technology problem with lcds - refresh rate doesn't matter as it's the panel's update rate that is the real problem. It's especially apparent when you see projectors with tearing problems in fairly standard resfresh rates. CRTs should work however as long as they can sync to 85Hz or higher. I have no idea about D-ILA or DLP, but I imagine that they would suffer some of the same restrictions as LCD.

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
The CRTs may have sufficient refresh rate (electron gun) capability but the phospor decay time is usually too long - the image for the right eye hasn't faded completely by the time the image for the left eye is painted on the phosphor. Electrohome (and others probably) have special tubes with short phosphor life to overcome this.

I've projected 3D with paired 35 mm slides (with two projectors) onto a metallic screen (which maintains the polarization) using vert and horiz linear polarizers and used the SGI glasses (not shutters but just V and H polaroids, very lightweight) and gotten some very acceptable 3D images (many years ago). I've always wondered whether this could be achieved by two LCD projectors and separate signals for L and R images coming from two miniDV camcorders in sync - some of the smaller ones could be set with lenses at a typical interocular distance. I've seen this kind of set-up in some cheapo simulator rides in Vegas but they were animations and not set up very well and not that impressive - done right it should be much better but you'd need HD camcorders to do it "properly"!

AJ

·
Registered
122 Posts
The LCD panel inside the projector updates at 60Hz. If you send a signal higher than that to the projector, it will just throw the extra frames away. In order to do active stereo you either need a CRT projector or a DLP projector like the Christie Digital Mirage 5000(~$90k!). You'll want a refresh rate of at least 96Hz so that you've got 48Hz per eye. Any less and you'll see a lot of flicker.

Albert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.