AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum and I welcome anyone that has any questions regarding 3D playback (Movies or Games).

I see many questions regarding the playback of 3D ISO files. What programs work, how do I make the ISO playback, What video card do I need, What's the difference between ISO and and SBS file, Do I need an HDMI 1.4, and more.....

Not sure where to start but here we go.... (you don't need a newer video card to playback 3D files, read this post and you will find out how to do it. I have no order in which I'm writing this, that answer might be found further down)

If you want to playback 3D Iso files from your PC to your TV you will need a video card capable of outputting 3D. I use the Radeon HD6850. Fairly inexpensive card, but "big Poppa Pump" listed a less expensive card in the reply below.

If you are not able to buy a newer Nvidia or ATI video card, then you can still output converted "Side By Side" AVI or MKV files with pretty much any computer setup. These files will require you to use your TV to do the 3D processing by selecting "Side By Side" in your tvs menu.

Also, the SBS files are usually 1/4 of the size of the original 3D BD ISO file. I have checked out many of the same movies in the true ISO version and the converted SBS versions. I can honestly say that the true ISO versions are better in quality. If you have the video card to output "Stereoscopic 3D" and space on the hard drive, get the ISO files.

If You want to playback a SBS file then you don't need anything fancy. VLC Media Player will playback those files in AVI or MKV just fine. Once the image is on your TV screen, Select the "Side By Side" option in your TV Menu to engage the 3D.

If you want to playback a 3D ISO file you will need Total Media Theater 5 or Power DVD 10 or newer. I prefer TMT5. Now some of you may have these programs and still can not get the ISO file to play through these players.

If you want to play a 3D ISO and have TMT5 or PDVD then you will also need Daemon Tools or Virtual Clone Drive. Both work 100% and are free. If you are not familiar with what these programs do, then keep reading.

These programs will let you create a "virtual" Blu Ray drive for your ISO files. It will trick your PC into thinking you have a disc in a BD drive. Once you install the virtual drive software, just right click on any ISO file and you will notice a new option that says "Mount to Virtual Drive". Now when you go to my computer, you will see a new BD drive with that movie listed. Play via TMT5 or Power DVD.

HDMI cables.....

There are many questions regarding HDMI 1.3 and 1.4.

If you are playing an SBS file, you don't need anything special. Any HDMI cord will work. If you want full ISO playback and stereoscopic output, you just need a "High Speed" HDMI cable. These can be found at walmart for around $10. Don't waste your money on a Monster Cable that will cost you $200. HDMI is a digital signal, it will work or it won't. Like a cd will play perfect or it will skip. It's 100% or nothing.

I hope this post helps some people, If anyone has any questions, contact me and I'll do my best to answer any questions.

If you are interested in Gaming in 3D and have questions, just ask.

Enjoy

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 2 cents.

1) You don't need a 6850 to play 3d Bluray. A 6450 does the job fine and you can get one for less than 50 bucks.

2) Get your HDMI cables from monoprice.com. It's 3 bucks for a 6ft HDMI cable. It doesn't get any cheaper and better than that.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I play 3D movies with my 5670 (I believe that is the model). There's lots of guides out there for playback. It you have new equipment and TVs then it is easier to setup vs older tvs. I have a Mits DLP and it takes a good amount of tweaking to get the computer setup to work with that TV. Once you figure it out the no more problems.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I would suggest Oppo BDP-93 for HTPC newbie. It's simple and straight forward for someone who don't want the hassle of setting up and maintaining HTPC. Also, the latest beta firmware support ISO playback through USB. HTPC still had an advantage to play ISO through network and support dual Left/Right MKV format. Also, HTPC is needed if you have a 3D Ready Projector without Optoma 3DXL or VIP displayer/theater.

For HTPC, I prefer Nvidia solution as it come with complete driver for 3D movies and 3D Vision for games. I feel that it's less hassle to configure compare to ATI 3D implementation. I had a friend trying to get the ATI output 120hz to Optoma HD67N for a week and after I advice him to go for Nvidia video card, manage to set it up in less than 2 hours. Not that ATI is not working, but based on my research, there are more effort and research need to be done to get it output 120hz to 3D ready display.

·
Registered
717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap /forum/post/20825802

I would suggest Oppo BDP-93 for HTPC newbie. It's simple and straight forward for someone who don't want the hassle of setting up and maintaining HTPC. Also, the latest beta firmware support ISO playback through USB. HTPC still had an advantage to play ISO through network and support dual Left/Right MKV format. Also, HTPC is needed if you have a 3D Ready Projector without Optoma 3DXL or VIP displayer/theater.

For HTPC, I prefer Nvidia solution as it come with complete driver for 3D movies and 3D Vision for games. I feel that it's less hassle to configure compare to ATI 3D implementation. I had a friend trying to get the ATI output 120hz to Optoma HD67N for a week and after I advice him to go for Nvidia video card, manage to set it up in less than 2 hours. Not that ATI is not working, but based on my research, there are more effort and research need to be done to get it output 120hz to 3D ready display.

it's a little pricey but HTPC is probably going to cost at least as much.

As long as it does bluray iso's from a hard drive it would work for me.

·
Registered
539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap /forum/post/20825802

I prefer the Nvidia solution as well. Devices like the Avermedia 3DHD HDMI capture cards support 3D Vision (and not ATI). For HTPC 3D, you can use this with devices [for 3D playback] like the Xbox360, PS3, SAT or Cable, if your 3D PJ does not support HDMI 1.4 - without the need of a 3D-XL or ViP products. As long as you output SBS or Top/Bottom, the Avermedia 3DHD card will convert it to 3D.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a PC with Core i7 860 cpu, Nvidia GTX 570 gfx and Asus Essense ST soundcard. I am running mini-hdmi to hdmi (High speed 5 m cable) from GTX 570 to Samsung PS64D8000 TV, and Coax cable from sound card to a surround receiver.

I have TMTS 5 as a player on PC. I also have Nvidia 3dtv driver for 3d to tv and latest nvidia driver. I use dvdfab virtual drive to mount .iso's

The thing is, playing Blu Ray 3D .iso (Avatar, Tangled, Sanctum) to TV, I am getting a horizontal line (across the whole screen), like a little wave, distorting the picture. This line is sometimes moving up, and is only visible when there is 3D content with movement (fast panning and like). Anyone experienced something like it?

To mention, while streaming 3d content via 3d Explore (Samsung app), there is no line at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

really nice guide, but I've one question. I've got Acer 3820TG notebook, it has ATI Mobility Radeon hd 5650 graphic card, it also has hdmi output, but don't know what types of cables it supports. Is there a chance to play 3D bluray iso by using this graphic card ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaman /forum/post/20851905

I have a PC with Core i7 860 cpu, Nvidia GTX 570 gfx and Asus Essense ST soundcard. I am running mini-hdmi to hdmi (High speed 5 m cable) from GTX 570 to Samsung PS64D8000 TV, and Coax cable from sound card to a surround receiver.

I have TMTS 5 as a player on PC. I also have Nvidia 3dtv driver for 3d to tv and latest nvidia driver. I use dvdfab virtual drive to mount .iso's

The thing is, playing Blu Ray 3D .iso (Avatar, Tangled, Sanctum) to TV, I am getting a horizontal line (across the whole screen), like a little wave, distorting the picture. This line is sometimes moving up, and is only visible when there is 3D content with movement (fast panning and like). Anyone experienced something like it?

To mention, while streaming 3d content via 3d Explore (Samsung app), there is no line at all.

Yes. I do encounter this problem where there is a line that move up like every few minute. I think after I upgrade the Nvidia driver to 280.xx and above, I no longer have this issue. Maybe it is the timing problem. I set the resolution to 1080p 3D 23hz or 720p 3D 59hz in Nvidia Control Panel.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap /forum/post/20856108

Yes. I do encounter this problem where there is a line that move up like every few minute. I think after I upgrade the Nvidia driver to 280.xx and above, I no longer have this issue. Maybe it is the timing problem. I set the resolution to 1080p 3D 23hz or 720p 3D 59hz in Nvidia Control Panel.

Funny you mention it, I've upgraded to 280 whql driver and tinkered with some res/Hz settings for TV in Nvidia panel yesterday, and now the issue is gone!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts