AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone attempted to repair a broken lens on their 3D Glasses? Pairs of broken glasses seem to go cheap on eBay and if I could pick up a couple of cheap pairs and fix myself it would definitely be a money saver.

I don't plan on working hard enough to solder, etc. I basically just wanna' pop a lens into place and turn on. I'm sure this isn't possible but I figured some of the gurus on here would know.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter92377 /forum/post/19644990

Has anyone attempted to repair a broken lens on their 3D Glasses? Pairs of broken glasses seem to go cheap on eBay and if I could pick up a couple of cheap pairs and fix myself it would definitely be a money saver.

I don't plan on working hard enough to solder, etc. I basically just wanna' pop a lens into place and turn on. I'm sure this isn't possible but I figured some of the gurus on here would know.

Try going about it in reverse order. If yours are broken, take them apart to see what's possible (you're not any worse off). Then, if you find that they are easily repairable, you can use your set as parts to repair a set that you then buy on Ebay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see this is an old post, but I googled all over and couldn't see an awnser to this.

So here's my story, with a happy ending.

I just now fixed a pair.

I'm telling ya' these dam things aren't ment to be opened.

Sure there are 6 screws (ssg-2100ab/xc) but 4 of them just hold the arms on

And the other 2 do almost naff all.

I'm not gonna attempt to blame the kids, it was my ass that sat on ALL 3 sets hidden under a pillow.

And I broke all three.

1 set both LCD cracked

1 set left cracked

1 set right cracked

GUTTED

Ok so one set is unfixable, but apparently I have one good left LCD and one good right LCD, so in theory I have one complete set.

So I removed all the tiny (and I mean tiny) screws

Almost pointless but what the hell.

Then I decovered these things are snapped closed and a very small amount of glue (or heat sealed)

So I prised them open at one end and continued to snap, crack and peel them open at the end of the broken LCD.

Oh, I almost forgot. The lcds are stuck in with some sort of double sided tape, but not stuck fast :)

So, there's this ribbon cable running along the top and each LCD is soldered to this ribbon.

Two solder points each.

I used a clumsy gas powered portable iron and the two solder points are easy, didn't even melt the ribbon.

Tested before reassemble and IT WORKS.

WARNING: these things are not ment to be opened, you will not get them reassembled looking 100% up close.

Then again if you saw my (now fixed) and only pair, you wouldn't know unless you looked close.

But You will need a dab of superglue to hold it all tite together.

Ok, so out of three busted pairs I've managed to fix one pair.

But just so you know, it can be done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts