AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the help of 3d glasses have you guys done any movie watching on your projectors. as good as some of these projectors are, the 3d effect should be awesome.

Around 12 years ago i remember watching a 3 stooges vestivle and wearing the red, blue glasses. Watched the show on a 25 in tv and the effects were very cool. With projectors today the effect should feel like being on the holodeck of the enterprise!

Is it possible with lcd projectors, or is crt the norm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The above link is for the Imax 3d movies. It is my understanding that the 3D process for the Imax movies will not work with LCD or DLP projectors. This is due to the fact that a digital projector is a progressive display, while the Imax 3d only works with an interlaced display.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you're talking the old red/blue glasses movies, they should work fine.

Most 3d DVDs made today however use either a polorzied lens set of glasses or even glasses with flashing LCD lenses. I think both of these techonolgies relies on an interlaced display, and it can get screwed up when converted to progressive scan, which most Digital projectors do automatically.

I think there was discussion a while ago about altering refresh rates to maintain the 3d effect, but I don't remember much about it or if it actually worked all that great.

I could be wrong, and if you hear or read about something that would allow 3d on a DLP projector, let us know. I know I'd love to check out a big screen 3d movie.

Mike

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
on the plv 70 you can play 480I. I will do some research and post.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes the PLV 70 will accept 480I but it automatically converts it to 480P. Nevertheless, I too am very interested in big screen 3D.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Yes there are issues with progressive displays (digital projectors)and 3d technologies that rely on interlaced outputs... I have done a lot of research into this field after being blown away by a IMAX session using the polarizor system (two projectors grey(ish) glasses IIRC) but that is not something we can do at home....

There is one system I have come accross that works out of the box... There is a company called colorcode who use an alternative to the anylglyf system (red / blue) using an amber and purple.... They have pressed DVD's produced by NWave based in belgium (and commonly shown in IMAX's) with this codeing system and they do work... Some sections (the pure CGI) are better than others (the mixed live action / CGI stuff) and it helps to really crank your brightness / contrast and sit right up close to the screen (LCOS advantage ;) ) but I have all thier disks now and they are quite fun...

In actual fact I am trying to establish a distribution idea whereby I could get the higher rez master stuff (obviously 480 DVD format is very limiting to communicate 2 layers of differing color intensities) and convert this into WMP9 HD content... They would then have the jumpstart on the HD DVD market, the content would make a great HD show for transmission, and it would work right now on millions of computers !!! Plus I could get to playing with some HD encoding work...

I have a theory that LCD shutter glasses with a modified shutter timing system and an external DVD piped into dScaler with a BOB setting should also work.... However I dont want to buy an external DVD and a shutter glasses set simply for this task as it would certainly not be plug and play....

Try further reading at

http://www.stereo3d.com/3dhome.htm
http://forums.stereovision.net/
http://24.121.15.74/Stereo3D/

·
Registered
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phat Phreddy

There is one system I have come accross that works out of the box... There is a company called colorcode who use an alternative to the anylglyf system (red / blue) using an amber and purple.... They have pressed DVD's produced by NWave based in belgium (and commonly shown in IMAX's) with this codeing system and they do work... Some sections (the pure CGI) are better than others (the mixed live action / CGI stuff) and it helps to really crank your brightness / contrast and sit right up close to the screen (LCOS advantage ;) ) but I have all thier disks now and they are quite fun...

According to the referenced sites only one movie with colorcode3d was made on DVD up to now ("Encounter in the Third Dimension"). Have you found also any other colorcode3d movies on DVD (or maybe, VHS, DVHS)?

(I'm asking because you said "all their disks" = plural)

Another question: it seems you have experience watching such movie on LCOS projector. How your DVD player is connected to projector and have you done anything special with projector's setting for watching such DVD?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The only true pressed distro DVD I have is Encounter.... I have been in discussions with Steen from colorcode (as well as tried to get a day in the NWave studio to talk geek with the people there but did not have time) since long before this was sold and was sent it as a freebie (it may even have been pre production ??) and last conversations we had with any depth (4 months or so) I think he said that Haunted house and Alien adventure were not only being done but available.... Plus he sent me some stuff that was DIY pressed that was not (at the time ?? ) sold which contained some MPEG clips and lots of still images which were superbly clear like the stereo photo section in Encounter...

I know he has some Danish / Scandinadian site that carries his stuff before anyone else.... When he told me this I was right in the middle of my international move (when will it ever end is a better question) and so picking up a specialty DVD from a danish site was low on my list of priorities... I will drop him a line and see what I can do for a supply and maybe an AVS price... So I am missing Alien adventure and Haunted house from the list (and maybe SOS planet if that is now got beyond the testing phase).....

Also when I spoke he said they were working on SOS planet (which I have not seen in any IMAX under any 3d style) and he feels is the best 3d piece made yet... They are working on it for colorcode but they are still testing for improved visuals... The first run of glasses may have been a little too dark in the purple leading to a slight muddy left... More betaing with some Rosco swatches may help this :D !!!!

He also has some realtime image converter SW (I have not seen this yet) that proports to do a 2d to 3d conversion... Of this I am very skeptical on how they attain the paralax / depth info's but I am 99% sure this was for sale....

Info's on this can be found http://www.copcap.com/composite-1628.htm and http://www.3dstereo4you.com/press/text/3Dplus.pdf (dated Dec 2nd !!!)

I first got the disk with my SVGA projector and was totally disspointed... The experience with the Hitachi was far better... We are not talking IMAX quality here but sitting right under the screen (foggy plastic glasses tend to mitigate any screendoor) and really cranking up the brightness and contrast (good job TT stores on a per disk basis) makes a big difference... Also as I said I think the glasses were either being changed or have been changed to lower a muddy field in one of the eyes....

Put it this way... It made one of the people watching totally travel sick and had to leave the room when spinning through the Jules Verne style underground bits !!!! :)

Due to this thread I will see what I can find out by email....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.