AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

In our new home we have a theater upstairs that we use a lot and it is not 3D, (150" screen with a Panasonic AE4000 projector). We have a 720p Samsung 50" in the den and have been looking to upgrade it for a couple of years.

So I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Panasonic 65" VT25 from Best Buy (rated "Product of the Year" by Home Theater magazine) yesterday to go in the den, and I find out today that Toshiba will be releasing a new 3D tv in the near future that will not require the 3D glasses and make using them obsolete.

We were not looking just for a 3D tv, we really want a great 2D tv too, but I do not want to be stuck with an item that will be out of date in a couple of months. So do I cancel the order and wait for the new or let them deliver it on Saturday?

Thanks for your insight,

Jim

·
Registered
787 Posts
Glasses-less 3DTVs from Toshiba won't take the industry by surprise.

All glasses-less 3DTVs have the same issues and the Toshiba ones are no exception, these TVs will be expensive and offer poor resolution in 2D and 3D because of the way these displays work.

Keep your Panasonic plasma.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

An article written in yesterday's Atlanta newspaper titled, "It is too soon to buy 3D tvs..." started this snowball rolling. I love the picture of this tv and the size is what we wanted for our den. I did not want to have to be wearing these glasses when the standard would be glass free.

Bill Husted, AJC, writes, "Its (Toshiba) first glasses-free sets will hit the Japanese market this month or by the first of the year. Glasses-free 3D will be a big deal... the 3D goggles will seem as old-fashioned as rabbit ears."

Any idea how long before we will see these glasses-free sets and prices that are comparable to 3D tvs that are out now?

Jim

·
Registered
710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek737 /forum/post/19643803

Thanks.

An article written in yesterday's Atlanta newspaper titled, "It is too soon to buy 3D tvs..." started this snowball rolling. I love the picture of this tv and the size is what we wanted for our den. I did not want to have to be wearing these glasses when the standard would be glass free.

Bill Husted, AJC, writes, "Its (Toshiba) first glasses-free sets will hit the Japanese market this month or by the first of the year. Glasses-free 3D will be a big deal... the 3D goggles will seem as old-fashioned as rabbit ears."

Any idea how long before we will see these glasses-free sets and prices that are comparable to 3D tvs that are out now?

Jim

I think the point being missed is that these glasses less 3D TVs, even if they eventually come out in larger sizes, will offer an inferior 2D product compared to what you can and will continue to get from the glasses required 3D TVs.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek737 /forum/post/19643803

Thanks.

Jim

Best guess is about 7 years. They still have a bunch of issues that have to be solved (severe viewing angle, specific seating distance and resolution) until they are ready for consumers.

You will see Auto 3D* on hand held devices like tablets, phones and personal video game consoles.

*Autostereoscopic 3D Display - no glasses.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for all of your input. I guess I will be mounting a new tv this weekend!

·
Registered
809 Posts
next year a few compnays will be comeing out with 3d projectors that will be a fordable.and dont belive the compnays that said 3d with no glasses keep your killer panny and good luck with it

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks.

Just read Home Theater Magazine for Jan 11' page 26 says, that glasses- free 3D tv sets have many limitations and they will be years away. So VT25 will be arriving on saturday...

·
Registered
5 Posts
First thing, switch the TV over to "THX" display mode. The "Standard" mode is apparently designed to save power, and has a very dim, murky, and desaturated picture. I leave my P58VT25 on "THX" mode and color temp set to "Cool1" and very much like the 2D and 3D picture. The TV also does a pretty good job of upsampling 480i legacy TV, better than many other sets.

You will be stunned at how good your 2D and 3D Blu-ray discs look - I think it gives the 2K projectors in the theaters a run for their money, without having to put up with sticky floors and cramped seats.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice on the VT25. I am looking forward to watching it. Can not really compare a 65" tv with a 150" screen / projector / theater. They will both get a lot of use in different ways.

Thanks,

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts