AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only catch is you have to hook up to a pc and use an ATI card with catalyst control center.

I'm still testing, but its working good. Not great, but good.

You have to use LCD overdrive to trick the pixels to flicker faster on 60hz.

Would appreciate if we can get some additional testers.

You have to have an LCD projector. Don't know if it works on DLP.

This could be a break through...for budget 3D.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is this using the ATI Catalyst 10.3 beta driver (with 3d support )? what program is creating the faster than 60hz flicker? IZ3D driver ?

I played around with my DLP projector on an old nvidia card and the IZ3D driver. Over vga I was able to get it working at 60hz and there was a fair amount of flicker in bright scenes.

I take it the projector is hooked up over VGA ?

I now have a radeon 5700 hooked up to my DLP projector via HDMI but I can try VGA if you give more details on what settings to change in CCC, and what driver/program you are using to create the stereoscopic image. I have not installed the beta 10.3 catalyst so maybe there are 3d settings there I'm not familiar with.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I have read the light output is minimal for 3d. Best to use two projectors and even then the light output is sketchy at best.

On the positive my projector value is minimal now and if I could get a second I would be on my way!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
hmm this is interesting. Wonder if it would work on my SXRD 60" rear projection

Maybee there is a way to get 3d on older tv then.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Catalyst control center displays

Right click the display and then go to lcd overdrive.

Like I said, I dunno if this works on DLP.

I'm a 3D noob, but I think i'm onto something.

Haven't had time to play with it. I've been working a lot this week.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK /forum/post/18244178

There are a number of DLP projectors that handle page flipping 3-D. Most are at 60hz, but some will manage 85hz. My older 2004 Infocus 4805 DLP projector would do it up to 72hz.

Here's a list of projectors tested (2nd half of the page):

http://www.3dmovielist.com/projectors.html

Heck.. there are a bunch of inexpensive ($6-$800) native 720p projectors with 120hz out there right now.. Next time you need a lamp, just spend a couple extra bucks and get a new 120hz one.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've got a Benq W10000 with a maximum H SYnch of 100 Hz and V synch of 75 Hz.

The projector is normally 60 Hz. Do the max h-synch and v-synch mean that I can bump up the refresh rate?

I'd love to give this a try, but i don't want to damage my projector.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just found this in the user manual
Quote:
Dynamic performance

This model projector features a refresh rate of up to 300 Hz which provides excellent dynamic

performance and eliminates the 'color flicker' or 'rainbow effect' associated with DLP projectors.

300 Hz?? Am I misreading what this represents?

Thanks

·
Banned
3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluePill /forum/post/18248108

Heck.. there are a bunch of inexpensive ($6-$800) native 720p projectors with 120hz out there right now.. Next time you need a lamp, just spend a couple extra bucks and get a new 120hz one.

Exactly.

·
Registered
7,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguy /forum/post/18279055

I just found this in the user manual

300 Hz?? Am I misreading what this represents?

Thanks

That would mean that it is a 60hz projector with a 5x color wheel.

Just the marketing department acting insane.

LED driven DLP has a far higher potential claim for refresh rate because LED can flash on/off far faster than color wheels could ever spin.

Completely silly marketing junk.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks.

Well it looks like my Benq W10000 supports only up to 85 HZ.

Does anyone know if and how I can test out if 3D is even possible without first buying a 3D Kit.

I can't find any confirmations on my model one way or another? (I've seen the list mentioned above)

I also can't find any clear and concise information on how to get the 3D shutter glasses and image working at 85HZ.

I'm really happy with my projector, but getting workable 3D on it would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguy /forum/post/18335850

Actually it might be a max of 75Hz. Is 3D even workable at that?

My Infocus 4805 did frame sequential 3-D at 75hz. While there is still flicker, it is a noticeable improvement over 60hz.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Greg,

I believe that you wer using a BR disk that was not encoded with the new HD format 3D Blu-Ray standard since none are available at retail yet. I beleive that you were playing a blue ray disk containing 3D video formatted in an older 1080p/24 format and displaying it at 72fps to avoid flicker and to avoid frame rate Judder when displaying it 60fps.

·
Registered
609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18336678

Greg,

I believe that you wer using a BR disk that was not encoded with the new HD format 3D Blu-Ray standard since none are available at retail yet. I beleive that you were playing a blue ray disk containing 3D video formatted in an older 1080p/24 format and displaying it at 72fps to avoid flicker and to avoid frame rate Judder when displaying it 60fps.

I was using the 75hz rate with my computer setup to view 3-D movies and videos. (Also played some Quake III in 3-D, after a software patch.) Yes, the 72hz rate was likely designed to triple flash 24fps 2D material, but that's not what I was using it for. btw: Frame sequential 3-D on my Infocus 4805 worked at 75hz, 72hz, and 60hz.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts