Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This article:

http://www.outrageousfilms.com/3dfacts.htm

seems to suggest that 3D DVDs will not work except on CRT-based televisions -- and also that BIG TVs are NOT the best for the 3D effect.

Any comments -- i.e., will these 3D DVDs display 3D on LCD or DLP RPTVs?

And ... is it true that the 3D effect is better on smaller TVs?

- - -

What are LCD Shutter Glasses?

LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) Shutter Glasses are electronic glasses that have actual moving shutters built into each lens of the glasses. The technology was introduced over 15 years ago to computer games. Since then, the technology has been improved and better suited for 3D motion picture viewing. The shutters are synced up to a signal that coincides with the picture you are watching - switching left and right eye fields very fast, thus creating the 3D effect. Many Large Screen 3D Theaters use the shutter glass technology in conjunction with their perfect environment of projecting a 3D image. Now, with the advent of lightweight and comfortable wireless shutter glasses, home viewing is made easy. An electronic signal emitter that easily connects to your TV or DVD player sends a video field sync signal to your glasses when viewing a 3D movie for shutter glasses. The results are astonishing! Finally, true 3D in all its glory and true to color, in your home, for the first time!

Can I use my Computer DVD player to watch 3D DVD'S?

Yes. You will have to buy a different 3D kit other than the system sold for Television viewing. Keep in mind, LCD flat screen monitors do not work with this technology. Standard VGA or SVGA monitors for computers are needed.

Does the 3D look better on a big TV screen or Video Projection screen?

Technically, no. Normally with any DVD and even your cable TV, the video resolution gets stretched and distorted with all large TV screens over 36 inches. If you watch a large screen projection of your local TV News and compare it side by side with a smaller 27 inch screen, you will notice that resolution is better on the small screen. It works the same way for 3D DVD's. Yes, you will get the 3D effect on a large TV screen, but you will get an even stronger effect on a smaller TV screen. In Television, bigger is NOT better!! Video always has had its limits with line resolution. The reason why motion pictures projected in movie theaters look so good is because the picture is not using a video signal at all. Motion pictures in major movie theaters use actual transparent film that is projected onto the screen by a powerful lamp and lens from a movie projector.

- - -

Also this post:

http://www.slingshotent.com/ss_btmenu_faq.htm

Q: I am not seeing 3D on my screen. What is wrong?

A: There could be various reasons for this. Always remember that the 3D shutter glasses and emitters are fragile and need to be handled with care.

1: If you have a LCD, HDTV or Plasma monitor, shutter glasses are not compliant. 3D shutter glasses work with sequential video fields for standard TV monitors using line resolution.

·
Registered
150 Posts
EWeiss: This did not "trigger my thought process." I am in overload, so I hope some others will respond to your post.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by MChilli
What's up with the picture of Jesus?? Are we honoring the holiday season. Just curious??
Sorry. I didn't read (until now) the rule about what to use or not use for avatars/photos. I will repost my personal pic.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I think the original post said it .... There is a 3D setup right down the

hall from me ... [email protected] (i.e. 60p each eye) ... and it is

stunning (120 inch screen, yes the projector does 1024X1280x120p).

I think they are right ... any continuous light TV that does not go black

between frames will not work. This means LCD and DLP will not work.

Plasma .... I don't know how it works.

Doug MCDonald

·
Registered
772 Posts
I think the LCD problem is related to the fact they change the polarization of each pixel continuously, and the LCD glasses need an unpolarized source. I don't think DLP has this issue. Also, since they are using field sequential interlaced, the effect will be messed up by deinterlacers and line doublers, which modify the data. On the other hand, with HD compatible modified timing, 720p60 could provide the same 30 fps per eye, with 6 times the spatial res! Surely, some such new 3D HD home system is in the works.

Hopefully, Mark Rejhorn (sp?) will chime in here, as he has personal experience in the area...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.