AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Greetings AVS forum!

First off I hope this is the correct/best forum partition to post in, apologies if its not.

I have been living with a 3d bluray playback issue for sometime now and have finally had enough. I am hoping that some of the wise folks here can shed some light on WHY this playback issue is happening.

First here is my setup. 

- 1 HDTV (Non 3D)

- 1 Projector (Optoma HD33)

Connected to a  1 in to 2 out Monoprice HDMI splitter (More info below)

the splitter connects to the HDMI out on the  

- Onkyo (HT-S3500) 5.1 receiver

All HDMI connections are via 1.4 3D supported cables

Receiver has connected to it 

- Cable DVR receiver

- PS3 (what I use for 3D playback)

- HTPC

- Xbox 360

- Bass shakers (Connected to Sub-In)

Ok so let me begin by saying that when ever I watch a movie in 2D, I have no problems. Standard Def, upscaled, or 1080p no problem on either display or any playback device. Playback is great. My problem occurs only during Bluray 3D playback. Typically when I want to watch a 3D movie, I have to unplug  the HDTV from the splitter and power cycle by unplugging  it. (I hear there is a switchbox out there that would remedy having to unplug it, but I’m unsure as to which would do the job) Then I’m good to turn on the projector and PS3 and play the movie. Now, randomly throughout the film the picture will cut out while the audio remains. I have taken a few small videos of the issue happening on my phone and could supply them if necessary, I know some forums have rules regarding new people posting video. 

But that’s pretty much it, I’ve had movies almost complete with this happening only once….then I’ve had it happen every few minutes to make the movie unwatchable.  At first I thought it was maybe the PS3 (it’s the original “fat“ style), but I’m wondering now if it it’s the projector because when the picture cuts out and the screen goes black, there is an audible powering down sound that comes from it. I’m not sure if that’s just what happens when the bulb turns off suddenly or what.  I have searched quite a bit for an answer and always seem to come up with a similar yet different issue involving red flicker, which I have yet to experience. All of those threads seem to indicate a cable/bandwidth issue.  From what I’ve gathered cable length could possibly be an issue, the one I use to connect from the splitter to the projector is 35ft (Amazon ASIN# B005POMTY6), this could probably be a bit shorter if necessary but not too much shorter.  Alternatively I was thinking maybe lowering the resolution on the PS3 might make the issue go away, but at the same time…I hate to have the equipment to run 1080p and not use it.

Thanks in advance for any help, and apologies if I have missed another thread that has answered this.

TL:DR - Sometimes, randomly throughout the playback of a 3D bluray the projector cuts out, but the audio still continues. Any thoughts as to why this happens or how to rectify it.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Sounds like a handshake issue with HDMI. Very easy to trouble shoot, plug the HDMI directly from PS3 to HD33 if the problem goes away its either the splitter or receiver if it doesn't then its most likely the cable. I ran a Fat PS3 through a splitter to a Denon Receiver and a non 3D display, from Denon to HD33 with a 50ft cable with no issues.

Reactions: bhaalspawn69

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Ok so last night I used the 3D Bluray - Gravity - to test, since this movie acted up badly last time I tried to watch it. I decided to first watch it how I normally would to re-create the problem, with the intention of then switching to a direct connection between the PS3 and HD33, as was recommended, upon the issue revealing itself.  And of course, since I was watching for it, the issue did not occur during the playback. Oddly enough there was a very brief reverse of the issue where the audio cut out for about 5 seconds while the video continued. It only occurred once during the movie, approx 3/4 of the way though.  Tonight I plan on trying again with the 3D Hobbit movie that released today. I'll report back with any additional info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

So, yesterday I used the Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug 3D to test my issue. Disc 1 of 2 played with no problem. The issue did occur on Disc 2 twice, almost back to back. So per Rekbones' suggestion I ran the HDMI from the PS3 to the HD33 directly. I felt a little silly sitting in a dark room watching a 3D movie with no sound, but hey sometimes that's how troubleshooting works. Anyway the issue did not occur with the direct connection between the two devices, so that would mean its the splitter or receiver right? 

I think I will test another movie tonight with the direct connection, just to make sure the test result wasn't a fluke.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
If you have an optical cable you should be able to connect audio from PS3 to your receiver so you don't have watch in silence.

Reactions: bhaalspawn69

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Unfortunately I don't have an optical cable, never needed one, however I may get one just in case for future purposes now. Anyway, last night I played Iron Man 3 3D with the direct connection between the PS3 and HD33 and had no problems in playback, so it's looking like the cable is OK. I'm thinking this weekend I'll try to determine if the splitter is the culprit by going from PS3>Splitter>HD33 (as the only OUT connection) and see if the problem occurs. I'm really hoping its not the receiver.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Update time. So this last weekend I ran a couple of tests on my system to try and determine where the cause of the cutout is originating. First I ran the PS3 to>Splitter to>HD33 (The HD33 was the only OUT device connected to the splitter). I used Iron Man 3 3D again as a test, and there were no issues in playback.

Next I ran the PS3 to>receiver to>HD33 (again the only OUT device connected, this time the receivers OUT of course). I used Thor 2 3D to test and once about halfway through the movie the issue happened - cut out for about 5-10 seconds (Audio & Video) before resuming. So unfortunately it seems the receiver has been the culprit this whole time.To recap what Iv'e tested:

- Checked the cable by running from the PS3 to the HD33, played a couple of movies with no playback issues.

- Checked the splitter by running the PS3 to>Splitter to>HD33 (only connected OUT device), played movie with no playback issue.

- Checked the receiver by running the PS3 to>receiver to>HD33, played a movie in which the cutout issue happened once.

So I'm kinda at a loss as to if this is something I can fix (Doubtful) or if I should look into a new receiver that has solid 3D playback. Or perhaps maybe its something such as heat build up in the entertainment center, it does get pretty warm but I always leave the door open when in use to have air flow. I dunno, I feel like I'm grasping at straws now.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
My only suggestion is to make sure all video processing is disabled in your receiver and set to direct HDMI video pass-through if any of those settings exist in your receiver.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Well, I don't see any options in regards to adjusting video processing or allowing for a direct HDMI pass through. Booo.  I may look into that Denon receiver you were talking about. One of the reasons I went with the Onkyo receiver is that I could easily work in my Aura Bass shakers by simply splicing them into the subwoofer in. No need for a separate amp. But in any case, I wanted to thank you for all of your insight and suggestions. If I end up getting another receiver and it does away with my issue I'll be sure to update this post.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Replying to my older thread. I'm on the site for a different issue right now (HDMI source not reaching projector - in AV Distribution forum), but I figure I'd post the answer to this older issue in case someone else ran into it down the line. I ended up purchasing a PS4 to replace my PS3 and that fixed the random cutouts during 3D bluray playback. I guess the ol' PS3 (Fat style) just couldn't handle the 3D.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts