AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,529 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Ill give it a shot when it comes out. I think my father would really like but he doesnt have a 3d tv

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I was really impressed with some of the 50s 3D stuff like Creature from the Black Lagoon. But these are shorts on 1 disk from earlier. I'll let one of you guys take a gander first...
You're kidding, right? I've seen a couple of Bob Furmanek's 3D restorations (INFERNO, THE BUBBLE) and they are more effective than any 3D you'll find in today's super-hero flicks. And at 147 minutes....this one's a no-brainer! Gonna be cool to see Casper in 3D. And...they have THE MASK coming out in 3D this fall as well. Cheaper than Amazon if ordered direct from Flicker Alley. http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/3-d-rarities

·
Registered
101 Posts
I re-visited an old favorite, House of Wax, last night in 3d and really was impressed. It looks as good, or better than most blockbuster Hollywood junk coming out now.
Makes me wonder what 3D would look like today if producers had taken it seriously and advanced the technology.
With the exception of Hugo and Avatar (both directors took 3D seriously), and maybe a few of the IMAX offerings, I havent seen anything as good as House of Wax,
a 60+ year old film (live action films only) !!!
Yes, it did have some crosstalk, a bit distracting, but it didnt ruin the experience.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
You're kidding, right? I've seen a couple of Bob Furmanek's 3D restorations (INFERNO, THE BUBBLE) and they are more effective than any 3D you'll find in today's super-hero flicks. And at 147 minutes....this one's a no-brainer! Gonna be cool to see Casper in 3D. And...they have THE MASK coming out in 3D this fall as well. Cheaper than Amazon if ordered direct from Flicker Alley. http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/3-d-rarities
Kidding? No, I'm not kidding that I have some reservations to buy a $40 disk with 100 year old shorts on it.

Did you read about what it includes? I don't think a single portion of this disk will be as made as late as The Bubble/Creature.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Kidding? No, I'm not kidding that I have some reservations to buy a $40 disk with 100 year old shorts on it.

Did you read about what it includes? I don't think a single portion of this disk will be as made as late as The Bubble/Creature.
Perhaps, although it looks like some are from the 50s. But the age of the materials shouldn't be an issue, as the 3D restorations may be stronger than, say, FROZEN or THE AVENGERS. As for price, using the link I posted, the cost is $30. (The same as TT's MAN IN THE DARK 3D release but with more than double the content!) Not trying to persuade anyone to buy something that they may have no interest in, but for many 3D enthusiasts, this is a treasure-trove.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Perhaps, although it looks like some are from the 50s. But the age of the materials shouldn't be an issue, as the 3D restorations may be stronger than, say, FROZEN or THE AVENGERS. As for price, using the link I posted, the cost is $30. (The same as TT's MAN IN THE DARK 3D release but with more than double the content!) Not trying to persuade anyone to buy something that they may have no interest in, but for many 3D enthusiasts, this is a treasure-trove.

+1
As a bit of a history buff it very much appeals to me. Probably not everyone's cup of tea.

Ed

·
Registered
111 Posts
3-D Rarities Content

Thank you very much for your interest in 3-D RARITIES.

If you'd like to see a complete list of the content, please visit the Flicker Alley website.

There are images on our website. I'm not able to post links but if you search for 3-D Film Archive, you'll see the page for 3-D Rarities listed at the top.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Updated original post with 3DFilmfactory site.

Unless I'm mistaken this appears to be a 3D Blu ray release, not anaglyph, correct?

Is this up next????

Is Hondo ever going to be released?

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
THE MASK will be released on 3-D Blu-ray by Kino by the end of 2015.

Gretchen Wayne offered HONDO in 3-D to Paramount but they didn't want it. Now the Blu-ray rights are tied up and she cannot offer it elsewhere.
Too bad. I was hoping this one would finally get released.

There was a limited (Promotional item Natural Vision 3D) Laserdisc release back in the early 90's of Hondo in 3D, but only about 30 mins of it. One came up on eBay I was going to bid on it but completely forgot about it, it sold for cheap too if I remember right.

Can't wait for 3D Rarities, looking forward to future releases.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 71 Posts