AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 3D soon being a new in home feature with bluray, does anyone know what the future requirements will be? I thought I read that the projector will have to accept a 120 hz signal. Do any projectors accept a 120 hz signal? Any have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
24,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd /forum/post/17010058

With 3D soon being a new in home feature with bluray, does anyone know what the future requirements will be? I thought I read that the projector will have to accept a 120 hz signal. Do any projectors accept a 120 hz signal? Any have any ideas?

I have been told that if my Sony VW200 were to receive a 120hz signal it would double it to 240hz. Which is why I wish VPs would someday be able to accomplish 120hz.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/17012491

I have been told that if my Sony VW200 were to receive a 120hz signal it would double it to 240hz. Which is why I wish VPs would someday be able to accomplish 120hz.

The vw-200 doesn't accept a 120hz signal at all. Check the manual om pp 73-75 for a list of signals that it does accept. I think the panels on the unit is 120hz so, even if it could accept that kind of signal, it would not be able to double it.

·
Premium Member
24,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy /forum/post/17012516

The vw-200 doesn't accept a 120hz signal at all. Check the manual om pp 73-75 for a list of signals that it does accept. I think the panels on the unit is 120hz so, even if it could accept that kind of signal, it would not be able to double it.

That was before. My VW200 had a recent firmware update (May) and I spoke to the engineer about it specifically. And yes, it can accept a 120hz signal. Of course the trick is getting one to it...

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
I would assume future 3D capable projectors will need to have the next generation of HDMI (probably ver. 1.4) since it's my understanding that support for 1080p in 3D is one of the enhancements being worked for the next generation of the HDMI standard (just as it is for the next BD profile).

·
Premium Member
24,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad /forum/post/17017235

Ha Ha,We all care about what you post & say Joerod

not just Lawguy, athough it seems he doubted you there for A minute untill you set him strait ...

Cheers....

I guess. He is a good Facts Checker.
Anyway, I am not the only one knowing of the 120hz to 240hz on the VW200. There is a reviewer who mentioned the capability as well... It doesn't matter anyway because as of now I am not sure I will ever be able to send it 120hz.

·
Premium Member
24,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones /forum/post/17017287

I would assume future 3D capable projectors will need to have the next generation of HDMI (probably ver. 1.4) since it's my understanding that support for 1080p in 3D is one of the enhancements being worked for the next generation of the HDMI standard (just as it is for the next BD profile).

Very good point.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballis /forum/post/17018495

How would FI work with 3D? Wouldnt there be risk of the added frames screwing up the 3D effect?

I would think it might be possible, but it would be difficult. For example in the simpliest case, if a next gen Blu-ray contained the right and left images each at 1080p/24 then the projector could run a FI algorithm on each of these video streams and create one interpolated frame between each original frame. Each of the two processed video stream would then be 1080p/48. If the projector displays the overall video at 1080p/96 then the original right and left frames would be displayed sequentially followed by the sequential display of the interpolated right and left frames. However, if there is lot of motion in the video then the big question would be how well is the correct 3D perspective maintained between the right and left interpolated frames. My best guess is would be possible, but with some 3D digital processing artifacts, when dealing with just a single interpolated frame being inserted between the original frames. However, I suspect that doing more agressive FI (such as inserting 3 new frames between each original frame) would be much more difficult to accomplish without introducing objectionable 3D digital processing artifacts.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Optoma has a new version of the budget HD65 called HD65-3D. They will also have an upgrade for the HD8200. They will be 120hz and you'll need to buy special glasses, think I heard 3D glasses would about $200 more or less.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts