AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 368 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
The Vuze has an app for both android and iphone that works very well. The latest version now can see the 4 cameras in a quad display as well as your usual remote control for record pause. It also allows you to switch the camera to still photo as well. Plus the usual where you can change the shooting settings, see SD card capacity and see remaining battery. It does not pair the cameras for 360 3D display on the phone.

The computer app VR Studio is where you stitch the 8 cameras for a full 360VR 3D file in equirectangular format which can be edited. I found you need to have a fairly powerful computer to do this stitching in a reasonable time frame. A fast graphics card is a must.

I have the older Vuze. You have the Vuze+ which offers live streaming. I can't address how that works but you should get in on the Vuze usergroup on Facebook where you can find many Vuze+ users who are working with that version. Aside to the live streaming there isn't too much different for post production. Some who have both claim the lenses are different, slightly wider angle. Others have reported higher resolution but I haven't seen that in their comparison tests and HES does not make that claim.

The software updates have been very good over the past year I have been using it.

The main weakness of the Vuze is the stitching accuracy. Because it is 8 cameras there are 4 times as many stitch lines as the normal 2 lens cameras. The software is getting better but still not perfect. I haven't tried the latest update which they just announced. There are other stitching packages that are better and are compatible with the Vuze 8 camera design. Mistika is one but it is very expensive and is a subscription. It also is manually adjusted but allows better control of matching up the stitch lines.

So once you have your Vuze+ video stitched you can then upload it to YouTube or Facebook(2D only) and put your smartphone in the Google cardboard mode which will allow it to display 360VR3D SbS. Or display in 2D and pan around with your finger. The HumanEyes Studio stitching software will render your vuze clips ready for upload. Should you decide to edit your stitched clips, I recommend Adobe Premiere Pro as it works the best ans last I checked is the only editor that can handle the vuze 3D properly, especially with layers and titles.

Have fun with your new 360 VR.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
And I'm posting this one again because it was posted several pages back now, the prototype for the Sid 2 4K, but where is it??? Nothing since CES.

I still like this one the best on specs and form factor. Supposed to have a 3D touch screen on back and should be similar to the Yi Horizon on specs one would assume. Was shown at CES 2018 as the Sid 2 which was supposed to have a Kickstarter this summer but nothing yet.

The Sid 1 had no screen, required you to pair with phone, and had lower resolution. Basically 1440x1440 per eye which didn't look too bad. The price on the Sid 1 has been dropped to 215.00 just for the camera.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
So the reviews are in on the Red Hydrogen One. Most seem to think the same thing about this phone, that's it's a gimmick because, yep you guessed it: it's 3D. Ok we get it, you don't like 3D.

My biggest concern is the proprietary 4V encoding. From what I understand is that the two lenses are the same, so it's a true stereo camera and a 3D phone like the old HTC EVO but it records to 4V which is 4 individual views, so I don't know how you could convert that back into something usable other than on the phone and maybe you can but how will that hold up after being converted? So it seems to me that it's a closed-in system. You can take pictures and video but only view it on this phone.

And that 3D camera they unveiled in May that will pair with the phone, still no word on that. But if it writes to 4V then it will have to be converted from 4 views to 2 which again, is going to be a conversion of some sort that might not appear the way two views should with stereo 3D. It might be just for viewing on the phone. I hope this is not the case, maybe they will have a way to store the individual lenses data in the 4V encoding that can be extracted for stereo 3D and not their 4V. So if it's a closed-in system like what it's shaping up to be, count me out.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Big brother must be targeting me with 3D ads as I just started seeing that Hydrogen One advertised in my browser. I was hoping for more but the reviews are not great as a phone and the 3D gets mixed comments. I suppose any push for 3D tech is good. My hope of watching a 3D MKV on it sound remote.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
My pipe dream:
That someone would make a non extreme wide angle, non VR, 3D camera again. Ironically, just my opinion, but I kind of think that the best 3D one ever made- outside the mega bucks pro stuff- was the Gopro Dual when set at 2.7K Protune mode. I own JVC-TD1s, and a Z10000, and they don't hold a candle to the GP in terms of dynamic range and sharpness- I HATE those clipped highlights. The slightly smaller IA, isn't particularly noticable, with proper composition.

Not holding my breath!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Yes, it's a pipe dream, the only thing close to 3D are the VR180 cameras which are sort of 3D. I don't care for fish eye either, but it might be possible to replace the lenses on some of these too, just depends on manufacturing but you'd still have the square framing to deal with.

My best 3D camera is the AX1003D rig, far and away the best resolution, color and sharpness, but it lacks genlock so depends on it's use. After that my 3DA1 which it uses independent streams like GoPro's so less compression. I think the 3D cameras that use single file compression are too watered down in quality, they could be much better with better codecs and bit rate, unfortunately they're consumer grade cameras.

I got a little excited with the Red One 3D camera announced but I don't think it is going to be usable for 3D, maybe only playable on the phone.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Hey Barry- I agree with you about the GoPro 3D system. I spent quite a bit of time researching the 4 Black sync cabling and if you want to hack into two of those that may be your solution. However, the newer Hero 6 Black is far superior in image quality than the 4 Black and way better than the 3 Black. Add to that the features and 3D would be a real image plus. BTW- in 2.7K mode up you now have "Linear" FOV so that awful wide fisheye is gone! Yes indeed that part of your wish came true with the Hero 6. Unfortunately, even with the Hero 7 ( I took delivery on that one yesterday ) there is no Linear FOV for 4K.

I still plan to make a bench for two of the new generation Hero cameras using the 6 and the 7. Both use the exact same lens and camera sensor so with image stabilization turned off, I can get 3D match with a compact system. Too bad there is no sync with these.

The main reason I bought the Hero 7 was for the new image stabilization. It is impressively superior to the Hero 6 and that was really good in most hand held cases. The Hero 6 I.S. failed when you were walking. That still required a gimbal. The Hero 7 Black now eliminates the need for a gimbal when walking. And it works in 4K 60fps! The other stuff like direct live streaming to Facebook from the camera I'm not interested in. I haven't tested the digital zoom in 2.7K yet.

What could make me go for a Hero 8 next year? 1.Add Linear FOV to 4K 60. 2. If they made a sync access for 3D.

I don't care for fish eye either, but it might be possible to replace the lenses on some of these too, just depends on manufacturing but you'd still have the square framing to deal with.
Tom- it's not just the lenses as the entire hardware would need to be changed because the VR electronics is designed for rectilinear output. There is no fisheye effect when viewing as VR was intended which is with an HMD where the virtual screen is a view of the inside of a sphere. When you project a VR image on a flat screen it suffers the fisheye distortion.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
As i know, Hero6 stab is better with earlier firmwares.
But still not available in 4k/60 mode.
In order to achieve 4K 60fps GoPro had to add another GB of memory and a faster processor as compared to the Hero 5 and 6. The lens and camera remained the same. There is speculation that the Hero 8 will offer linear FOV if they switch to a new camera sensor such as the latest 5.7K, then offer 4K 60 with linear. The good thing is the 4K 60 in the Hero 7 at least has image stabilization.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yeah, i know that extra memory, but you should also know that with fw. 1.60 stabilization was a lot better than with current one.
How easy is changing the lens on Hero 6-7? I ask because i love my 90 degrees lens Firefly cameras which doesnt have fisheye effect.
Now i wait for FF-X which will do 4k/60 and will be available with 90 lens too soon.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Ouch, Gopro taking a big hit today (11/2/18) on earnings dive. The gopro coffin is slowly closing. There is so much competition now with knock-offs. Back in 2012-13, everyone I knew seemed to have one, and my son would take his everywhere and video everything. Now it sits in a case unused for several years. I've never seen a Karma drone, and the gopro website only sells accessories now that they are exiting that space. Interesting that Best Buy still sells them--must be old inventory.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Yeah, i know that extra memory, but you should also know that with fw. 1.60 stabilization was a lot better than with current one.
How easy is changing the lens on Hero 6-7? I ask because i love my 90 degrees lens Firefly cameras which doesnt have fisheye effect.
Now i wait for FF-X which will do 4k/60 and will be available with 90 lens too soon.
Did you mean the current FW for the Hero6 or 7? The 6 FW I got with the camera is 2.01 and IS is not good walking but does fine handheld. The 7 is amazing IS. I'm sure it will do the job for what I want. I do wish it had Linear mode in 4K30 but I will be shooting in 2.7K 60 to get the linear feature for now.
I don't know about lens change bit I understand the top glass just pops off and you can get to the lens that way. There is a company I saw that will sell you the Hero7 Black with a 90 degree lens for about $800. They make several other lenses too for the 5, 6, and 7. I'd like to know how to roll back the FW to 1.6 if what you claim is true.

Bob- I have not been invested in GoPro stock in a year. I did see they really took a hit and as I expected due to a dying business. For volume business they are getting hammered by the quality of the smart phone cameras. My XS Max out performs the Hero6 in a matchup. I'm sure the 7 will leap ahead now with IS. But, if the company fails, at least we have the cameras, like the 3D UW system and now I have a decent IS in the 7. I just ordered two frames for the Hero 6 and 7 to build a bench to do non synced 3D stereo. If that works out I will consider retiring my NEX 5 wide IA system to reduce the size of my traveling kit. I'm hoping to get the system light enough to work on my Guru 360 Gimbal.

Speaking of stock, Did you see the hit Apple took when they announced they would no longer break out numbers of iphones, ipads, and Macs? Good buying opportunity. I have a ton of Apple stock but considering buying more if it goes any lower. The company is still printing money and the stock gets hit because the analysts hate not getting the data. They'll get over that and then if we buy more now it is an opportunity.

Reactions: 3DBob

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Tom- it's not just the lenses as the entire hardware would need to be changed because the VR electronics is designed for rectilinear output. There is no fisheye effect when viewing as VR was intended which is with an HMD where the virtual screen is a view of the inside of a sphere. When you project a VR image on a flat screen it suffers the fisheye distortion.
Yes, I was speaking of using VR180 as a stereo camera not for VR headset use. The fisheye would be too problematic but if the lenses could be replaced with closer to normal lenses it would help but the square framing per eye would still be an issue, would have to crop out some image for 16:9 so lenses with a wider than normal FOV would still be needed, like GoPro's.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Linear FOV in 4K would probably get me interested in buying a GP for non 3D work. 60p would be nice, but it's not nearly as important to me as a non wide FOV.

Don, I'm wondering if you have actually tried walking with the GP 7 yet and actually found it to be a gimbal replacement- I'm skeptical. Also, you said how much better the IQ is over and above the 3+. Could you elaborate a bit on what makes it so much better. Again, I only use the 3+ in Protune in raw/flat mode and find the images to be tack sharp, have good dynamic range, and allow me to do my own color grading. So, the only way I can see it getting majorly better is with even better dynamic range, and even higher bitrate.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Hope this link help, you can find 1.6 fw link here.
Wow! You are my "hero 6" today. I was able to find the FW you recommended from the guy who uploaded it to his Google drive and I installed it. Verified the update was back to 1.60 and tested the IS. What a difference! Tomorrow I will put the Hero 6 on the bench with the Hero 7 and take a walk to compare. I wonder what other roll backs there are. I'll read more in that thread later. But for now I'm happy with the result. Strange GoPro did that.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Linear FOV in 4K would probably get me interested in buying a GP for non 3D work. 60p would be nice, but it's not nearly as important to me as a non wide FOV.

Don, I'm wondering if you have actually tried walking with the GP 7 yet and actually found it to be a gimbal replacement- I'm skeptical. Also, you said how much better the IQ is over and above the 3+. Could you elaborate a bit on what makes it so much better. Again, I only use the 3+ in Protune in raw/flat mode and find the images to be tack sharp, have good dynamic range, and allow me to do my own color grading. So, the only way I can see it getting majorly better is with even better dynamic range, and even higher bitrate.

Yes, I did the walk around the back yard test today on a bench I constructed to hold the Hero6 with the Hero7. However, I want to repeat that test tomorrow after Relaxman suggestion which greatly improved the results on the 6. I did a quick edit with the hero 6 and hero 7 split screen. I'll add the second test tomorrow and post it up on YT for you to see. Maybe on Sunday. Weather depending.

There is still PT options although the menu is different. I am using GoPro color with the sharpness rolled back and auto white since my work is OK with that as I am not into color grading for effect like you do. GoPro color with the sharpness off is really OK with me and the auto white is because I don't want to be changing that as I go into different lighting environment. As for dynamic range, they don't specify that but They do have a setting for h254 + h265 files to be saved or just one or the other. I heard one reviewer claim the 7 is at 60 Mbs bit rate, not 100.

201 - 220 of 368 Posts