Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I decided to get some footage of my PJ in action instead of just a regular screenshot (originally did it to show my uncle instead of using a boring still screenshot). I recorded the Spiderman/Green Goblin fight scene in the burning building and I got some cool 3D looking shots. One part it actually appears that the round objects with blades came right from my camera and into the screen. It looks pretty awesome, so check it out (the acutal image has a good 3D effect too, but I was really surprised to see it show up on camera).

It was taken with a digital camcorder, but the resolution is 352x240 to keep a small file size. It's under 2mbs I believe. You will probably need a divx, div3 or mpeg 4 codec. For good quality just makes sure the video isn't played larger than 100%.

Let me know what you all think. Here's the link:

http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/buyitch...man_Clip_1.avi

PS: Angelfire was down for a bit and I'm not sure if they're back up yet, but they will be soon. So, if it doesn't work you may have to wait a little bit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I must admit .. when I first looked at it i thought .. how the hell have you done that .. well it is still morning here so my braine isn't active yet hehe.

It looks really cool!!!

Haven't your mother told you that you must not sit so close to the screen :)

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Unfortunately, you seem to be over your bandwidth limit right now. Hope it looks good!

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks just as cool in person too. I was shooting onto a 100" wide white wall. I was surprised how 3D it looked on camera. Pretty awesome. That wasn't me at the computer. That was my cousin. I was doing the filming.

I wish Angelfire wasn't having bandwith problems still, because this is a cool video.

Since Angelfire is having problems I will look to see if I can post it somewhere else.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. I just tested it and the site is working again (I hope they don't go down again). Let me know what you all think of the video. It's very 3D and pretty darn cool. You'll probably be thinking I did something to the video like the guy above (but I didn't). Have a look. For good quality keep the video at 100% and no larger. Alos, if it doesn't work you'll need to download a DIV3, Divx, or Mpeg 4 codec.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
It works for you, but no-one else... I've tried a couple times.

Sites like that, well, I won't say it.

Troy

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Nada.....

Marc

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hay guys,

You have to do a right click and do a "save target as" and then it will download the file to your harddisk...

Play it with Divx Player..

It works.

Yuval.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was using a tripod (I don't shoot by hand since I'm into filmmaking), but I didn't have a screen, masking, etc at the time simply because the projector was a demo.

It's an Infocus X1 demo projecting at 100" wide.

I probably should have tried shooting at night, but I figured I'd need the light (the living room light where the camera and projector are stationed is on. The light looks dimmer than it actually is because I turned the exposure down a bit. The image looks even better in person), because shooting in the dark normally gives a grainy image. Most camcorders don't do so well in low light. I only have a 1 chip digital camcorder. It may have turned out good, but I didn't feel like waiting to find out. I thought it turned out pretty good.

I now have masking and a screen by the way.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Because the X1 is only $1k new, and thus cheaper than many high quality used CRTs, and because this image is very 3d like or something.

Me, I'm going to send VDC $1k instead of InFocus. :)

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
I didn't see anything 3D-like in terms of how CRTers use the term to express a CRT's PQ. I took it that was what the poster was trying to achieve in his post. When I viewed the projection, I was not impressed with the quality. Learning now that its the most inexpensive entry-level digital projector, I am confused as to why its posted in this forum, and not what Bob Wood calls the Flea Market forum.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wanman, by 3D I didn't mean PQ like 3D (although in person it sometimes has that effect), I meant it really looked like 3D. Also, by demo I don't mean I was demoing the projector for you all. I mean it's my infocus demo I got for free to use for 10 days.

Also, the actual footage looked just as 3D and I was shooting at 100" wide on a textured white wall with my living room light on (where the projector was at. It's hard to see how bright the living room light is because camcorders see a 60-watt light as dimmer, and I also turned the exposure down a tad.). So, the actual image in the dark was even better. This was before a screen or me getting it totally properly set up.

No need to get offended by me posting here, I know some of you CRT people hate digitals more than anything, but I thought it looked pretty cool how 3D it appeared, so I thought I'd post the video. How come you only down the quality AFTER hearing it's digital?

It was shot with a 1 chip DV camcorder with the light on and was uploaded via S-Video at a lower 352x240 resolution, so you're not exactly getting anywhere near the real quality. Why does it matter what's projecting it? It's just a video that had some wicked 3 dimensional scenes in it. The fact that Infocus sent a demo is my excuse for not having a screen or masking.

I have a CRT on the way. It shoud've been here by now though. A 1031Q.

I was simply amazed at the quality the X1 could deliver though, especially since I have read so many negative things here about digitals. I can honestly say the X1 comes very close or even beats my Toshiba HD-Ready 55" TV once it's set up properly (even at 100" wide).

I can't wait to see the 1031Q, although I'll miss the extra 14 inches in width and the ease of setup. I want to see what it's capable of. Hopefully UPS didn't smash it. It's it's much better I may consider upgrading to a better CRT. I can't wait to find out.

Later.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
I don't hate digital projectors, but I do dislike many digital projector products, inlcuding the X1. I had it for a couple of weeks and returned it. I was just bewildered as to why an X1 movie was in the CRT forum--really confused me.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
I have successfully downloaded the file, but can't play it. WM9 just says there's an error (I downloaded it twice just in case it got corrupted somehow). What are you guys using to play this back?

Cary

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jcmccorm, try downloading Divx or getting a DIV3 or Mpeg-4 codec.

Wanman, thanks for clarifying, but this video wasn't really posted here because of the type used. I just thought the 3D looked wicked and thought I'd show everyone. Simple as that.

Just wondering Wanman, did you see rainbows with the X1? What was your main problem? I honestly expected to hate the X1 from what I've read here. I was in awe though. Once set up properly it about equaled my 55" HD-Ready Toshiba, even at over 8 feet wide. Luckily I have never seen a rainbow. The X1's faroudja seems to clear up a lot of DVD video noise I had been seeing on my big screen rear projection set (even though I was the only one in the house to notice it).

I did have a problem with blacks after getting over the awe. I figured out how to fix that problem to a great extent.

I can't wait to get my 1031Q so I can compare, but, I will miss the ease of use and the larger picture of the X1. I still have a lot of stuff I need to buy for the Sony to get it ready.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.