AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so the other day I was in the Sony store and saw they had their 3D video camera that was $1500. They had it hooked up directly to the TV so you could see yourself in 3D it was pretty cool.

So I've been looking online for a 3D video camera, lately. Does anyone have any suggestion on them or any feedback as to which one is the best one to get? I don't want to spend $1500, unless it makes a BIG difference. Looking for around $800.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I've not used that Sony but from what I've read, it wins in cost/benefit.

I am making do with a pair of HD Hero cameras with their 3D sync system, and a new pair of longer lenses. That would run $900 to $1000. These do not have a zoom lens or optical stabilizer, and their low light response is not so good. They make great sports cameras, but unless their small size, rugged durability, and waterproof casing is of use, the Sony would make better videos.

If you can afford, it is best to get 3D cameras that provide full 1080p video for each eye. There are not very many, though. The Sony and the HD Heros do.

The cheap 3D cameras costing around $200 are not really worth getting. I have one I'll sell you, though.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Panasonic has a camera in that price range but its side by side so the image isn't HD any more. Plus you can't zoom.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I just ordered the Sony for $1140 (great price) at AjRichard.com. From what I have read it takes great 3D videos. The problem is you can't burn DVDs unless you have an expensive software program. You can transfer the files to an external hard drive.

I just got a call from their salesman in New York strongly suggesting I buy a bigger battery, charger and memory card. I agreed to the first 2 items but was very dissapointed that they added 6% to the total for handling and insurance. So the great deal was not so good afterall.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Video editing is pretty much required. Sony has 2 products that edit 3d well, and the cheaper one is fine for home use. Like Frank says all over this site - tired of waiting for 3d content? Make your own! Nothing beats a 3d home video.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your input everyone. I think I will go for the Sony after all. I just put the order in for the Sony HDR-TD10 will let you know how it turns out when I used it for the 1st time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts