AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I am building my first home theater and want to buy the speakers and A/V receiver first. Unfortunately, there are not many opportunities to hear all of the brands out there. I have listened def tech 7002 which sounded really good, but are out of my budget for the entire system (5.1) I was looking at the axioms which seem like a good deal, but I have read posts that they are over rated or that can get better for the same amount of money. It also gets realy confusing when trying to compare specs. I was looking at the supercube I which lists output at 1250 watts. That axiom sub is almost the same price but only shows 500watts. What is the difference? Peak vs RMS?? Which sub would be better I am guessing the def tech since it shows it goes down lower. I know I am jumping all over the place, but am really overwhelmed with choices. If you were starting from scratch and had about 3K for your speaker system, what would you seriously consider/look at, what would you not??? I plan on using the Denon 3805 to drive the system. BTW, the theater will be 16X25X9.5'

Thanks for any help.

PS, if anyone lives in Western NC and knows were I can hear some of the speakers that are available, please let me know!

Thanks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
For subwoofer, I'd check out the SVS line of subs. Awesome subs for a great price. For speakers, take a listen to Paradigm Studios. I had a budget at about the same level as yours and have Paradigm Studio 40s, 20s, CC-470, and an SVS 20-39 PCi. It's a killer setup and sounds incredible. Other speakers I listened to and liked were the Rockets, but you'll have to find someone in your area which has them ( www.********** ), and the Energy Veritas line.

--Rexxe

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Comparing speakers based on power is a horrible thing to do. Do you need 1250 watts? Even with a class D amplifier, if you ever cranked that, it'd take a 15A circuit to ITSELF! And 1250W down to 500W is only a 3.9dB drop.

Peak power is what the speaker can do for short periods of time (peaks) while RMS is what it can handle continuously (root mean square - take the square root of the signal, average it, and square it -- not too important to remember, just remember it's "continuous power")

For a sub, I recommend an Ascendant Audio Avalanche, a plate amp from Parts Express, and some MDF from your local Lowes/HD.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Never go for "peak", that is such a crock.

And I think that pk is coming from the same place that a lot of upgraders (myself included) are coming from. I deliberately got speakers with a higher wattage output than my stereo could put out in hopes that whatever my unit could provide, inside it's own range, would not be distorted by the speakers.

This is a very general and vague approach that a lot of people would probably cringe at (being a technophilial site here), but that is what i went with coming out of college before BBS's like this even existed. (Hello Erol's! Hello Dialup!).

I think now, with the information so readily available, speakers should be chosen on what their response is not on the wattage label. Just like a car, 500HP does not mean it can take a corner worth crap. Why get a speaker that will annoy the neighbors if you cant tell the difference between Johnny Cash and Rosanne Barr?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.