AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've made a interactive digital graffiti wall (YrWall) and I have made a new rear-projection setup for it using a 2500 lumen, 5000 contrast ratio projector, with a 0.6 ration lens, throw distance 2.4m, projecting onto a 3005mm x 1580mm (custom ratio) piece of Perspex Hi-Vision from Lucite Solutions.

This, as probably most of you have guessed, is producing a really really bad hotspot. Is there a rear projection screen material that is better suited to an ultra short throw projector with such a massive screen size and high ambient light conditions?... or am I just banging my head against a wall on this.

thanks

·
Premium Member
25,497 Posts
Depends; from what distance is it visible? I can't imagine anything that wouldn't from a graffiti-applying distance.

From normal movie viewing distance you need either a lenticular lens to collimate the light and/or a highly diffusive screen, which will have a gain penalty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the screen is interacted with from standing right next to it. So yes, the hotspot is more prominent from that distance. But people do view the wall being used from around 3m+ where the hotspot is still pretty bad.

I've made a same size screen with same throw distance using a grey rear-projection rubber and the hotspot is much less but doesn't work very well in ambient light. Also my screen really needs to be solid.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Da-Lite has some wide-angle rear projection screens that might work for you. Be advised that the rear projection parts of their website are a bit hard to follow IMO, so you may find it helpful to have a live chat with them if you find something that interests you. Link

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah it seems their DA-100 WA may be suitable. All I can do is get it and test it. Sadly it can't be tested on small sample piece!!!

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated still.

Thanks all

1 - 9 of 9 Posts