AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Started emptying the theater out tonight, just have a bit of trim to finish in the Kitchen and I can start taking the velvet panels and drywall down. Decided to grab a drywall lift to take down the ceiling panels and drywall and put up the 2 layers of 5/8 drywall, after installing the clips and channel. I have always hung drywall on my own but this will be my first time with a lift, excited, should save a lot of time fussing around with 2x4 braces....plus I can apply the green glue on the lift and not get it on my hands. lol Should be a really easy demo as none of the drywall was finished and the velvet is on panel. Can't wait.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Lift in action.

So glad I wrapped my velvet on panels,makes taking it down fast and simple and the lift sure helps. As I stacked the panels I took down I mused how easy it would be to take them with me when I down size to a condo.lol

2 layers of 1/2" to come down and whisper clips,channel with green glue and two layers of 5/8 to go up.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Drywall came in today,20 sheets of 5/8 carried in by me alone, about 60ft and some steps. lol Can't believe I used to do stuff like that all day everyday.

Little more demo to do, I have managed to salvage at least 90% of the materiel taken down and will be using again. Just a matter of unscrewing and re-screwing sort of like life.. then I need to move some outlets around and run cat6 a few places plus speaker wire etc. Also be moving HVAC lines, have a plan to take care of the noise traveling along the runs. be easier to show then explain so pics to come.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Decided to enjoy summer for a few weeks, aka build a fence for my sister then get in a canoe.lol

Considering this PJ,ZH406 | Optoma USA I need an interm PJ while I save for a few or 5 years for a JVC laser. I know the 406 isn't a HT PJ but the contrast isn't too terrible and with that horsepower I can use my hoya ND2 filter lens to lower the black levels. Not worried about 4k at all but it will atleast play 4k content but no upscaling though there is HDR support. Add a long lasting light source that I only need to calibrate maybe once a year, I have a meter and Cal man and calibrated my JVC several times as my bulbs burned fast I'm a heavy user....lastly supposed to be very good 3d. The Optoma UZ65 is what I wanted but it is considerable more expensive up here.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Put up the whisper clip and channel today,very simple straightforward process and had just enough clips.lol Run the wire next, the channel looks to make a nice spot to run cat6 or hdmi. Where the channel ends in the second image I am framing a bulkhead to run the insulated 5" flex hose in to a baffle section which I will show later,the bulkhead also covers some plumping and will have a projector port.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Put up the whisper clip and channel today,very simple straightforward process and had just enough clips.lol Run the wire next, the channel looks to make a nice spot to run cat6 or hdmi. Where the channel ends in the second image I am framing a bulkhead to run the insulated 5" flex hose in to a baffle section which I will show later,the bulkhead also covers some plumping and will have a projector port. View attachment 3035067 View attachment 3035068
Aren’t you worried that you’ll puncture your cat/hdmi if you put it in the hat channel? Also, it will vibrate from base and possible make your wires rattle. Maybe I misunderstand your plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Aren’t you worried that you’ll puncture your cat/hdmi if you put it in the hat channel? Also, it will vibrate from base and possible make your wires rattle. Maybe I misunderstand your plan

That's a good point, just looked like a perfect highway to easily pass wires as standards upgrade. Not a huge deal as Cat6 should be good for several years, I could also use some pvc pipe in the gap between joist and drywall.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I’m a little gun shy about putting wires where a nail or screw can go. It’s probably fine a large percentage of the time, but when it’s not you have a useless wire that’s hard to replace. Conduit gives you a chance to pull a replacement through. Even if you don’t break a wire with drywall screw, you would have a heck of a time pulling a new one through all that with lots of tips and threads rubbing on your wire

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Came across a Benq laser with a 6 segment color wheel, 4000lumens and a .65 chip for 2 grand. Definitely moving to the top of the list.

·
Registered
13,667 Posts
do you have any pics of your current setup?...I saw you have a post in the first page but it's with the lights off...I'm curious what it look like with the lights on

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Between my back and life progress is slow but it's happening ...lol Ordered lumber for the false screen wall and screen frame(diy spandex) along with rockwol insulation for behind the screen to clean up the audio. Curios what cheap breathable fabric folks are using over the insulation. I made bass traps and used spandex but something cheap is preferred for an entire wall.

Mdf also ordered for subs, I swear the price doubled since my last sub build.

I will post picks of all the frameing eventually lol

21 - 40 of 49 Posts