AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 HD-A2s, or I should say, I had 3 HD-A2s.

I took one back to Costco, the one I bought most recently, in November, and decided to upgrade to a HD-A30, I figured, since my main new TV accepts 1080/24p why not?

Plus I'll pocket the difference since the HD-A30 was only very cheap at CC.

Anyway, I pop in Superman Returns, and what do you know, right about the 1 hour 8 minute mark, it skipped and I lost my audio.

NOW, keep in mind, i have A LOT of HD DVDs, and I have NEVER experienced one problem EVER with any of my discs or any of my 3 HD-A2s.

Yet the very first time I use my A30, BAM, PROBLEMS.

Not only that, the display and build quality of the A2 just seems better than than my new A30.

But I really wouldn't mind that, as long as the darn thing worked right.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And yes, it came with the current 1.3 firmware.

Now I'm just wondering what to do? exchange it for a different one, or take it back and buy another HD-A2 from online somewhere, since no one sells them anymore.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike171979 /forum/post/12942674

Now I'm just wondering what to do? exchange it for a different one, or take it back and buy another HD-A2 from online somewhere, since no one sells them anymore.

Why not just go to the AVS forums and declare the entire 3rd generation a piece of junk?

·
Registered
795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichFan /forum/post/12942690

Why not just go to the AVS forums and declare the entire 3rd generation a piece of junk?

Well, he did have one problem. The entire 3rd gen must be garbage.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Get the A30 exchanged for a new one. You shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OH man, now Bourne Ultimatum is locking up.

And it locked up at the exact same 1 hour 8 minute mark as did Superman Returns.

Well, I tried the Toshiba, initialize, unplug, and set the clock trick, and fast forwarded to 1 hour 7 minutes and let the thing play, and it played fine.

So now I'm wondering, is the thing fixed, should I just keep it, or take it back for a new one, or take it back and hunt for a 2nd generation player off ebay.

what to do what to do.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike171979 /forum/post/12975158

OH man, now Bourne Ultimatum is locking up.

And it locked up at the exact same 1 hour 8 minute mark as did Superman Returns.

Well, I tried the Toshiba, initialize, unplug, and set the clock trick, and fast forwarded to 1 hour 7 minutes and let the thing play, and it played fine.

So now I'm wondering, is the thing fixed, should I just keep it, or take it back for a new one, or take it back and hunt for a 2nd generation player off ebay.

what to do what to do.

It's probably something inside the player overheating. I'd say exchange it for another A30.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well that's certainly not my experience.

I think my HD EP35 is incredible.

Never given me any problems ever - save for once I noticed what I assume to be the layer change (I got a black frame for a moment).

It's not repeatable and it's a real case of 'blink & you'll miss it'.

It's really not something I'm bothered about and I'm sure it'll be something a firmware can resolve, minor as it is.

I've never had a disc freeze or the player mess around.

As far as I'm concerned the HD A/EP35 is an incredibly hot deal for it's specs/performance.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well two disks locking up in the same place, and you call all third generations junk?? You have a bad player, exchange it.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Well i wont call them junk but they use different drives and hardware than the 1-2 series did, sure they made them cheaper, smaller , more profit margin, all 3 series made in china?

There are alot of good ones and alot of bad ones!

My local BB ask's you which disc you had problems with and they will update your firmware on the spot if you dont know how too, there are alot of open box 3's in my BB.

I bought A3 few weeks ago as open box as so far only a disc freeze once playing a burnt dvd+r due to a fingerprint.

I will say my A2 plays just about every crappy, dirty, scratched to crap disc i own and DVD+R DL's that lock up at the layer change my other players choke on!

Long live 2 series!!!!

·
Banned
3,171 Posts
How many players do you need? You said you took one back so that still leaves you with 2 A2's. Why not just use them?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, my other A2s are in my bedroom, and in the bonus room, but my main movie watching TV is in the living room, and thats where I had the HD-A30.

Anyway, I decided to take it back today and get a replacement, so hopefully tonight I will be problem free.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL, well I just picked up an HD-XA2 Reburbished for $228 from Ubid.com

The deal was just too good to pass up.

So I will hold off on returning the A30 until after I get my XA2. If the XA2 works right, which I'm hoping should not be a problem, I'll just return the A30 for my money back.

·
Registered
719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike171979 /forum/post/12979745

LOL, well I just picked up an HD-XA2 Reburbished for $228 from Ubid.com

The deal was just too good to pass up.

So I will hold off on returning the A30 until after I get my XA2. If the XA2 works right, which I'm hoping should not be a problem, I'll just return the A30 for my money back.

Thanks for the info! I just picked up one from the same place. I have an A35that'll be here Friday from Amazon. If the XA2 can survive a firmware (even though it's manufactures' refurbished, I doubt it'll have the most recent firmware update) and works fine, I'll ship back the A35. I had free shipping, and with the price being so cheap on the XA2, I don't feel bad about paying for shipping on the A35 back to Amazon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts