AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an XBR4 52" LCD, S550 BD player, AppleTV, Wii, comcast (motorola) HD DVR. Have been considering an AV receiver and at about $1500, I am thinking Sony 4400ES or Denon 3808ci. What is making me lean to sony is CEC or HDMI control. Anyone had any issues with it and is it possible to macro non CEC devices like the DVR or the Wii with the AV remote? BTW if I am not considering anything else that might be better please let me know

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by radm1f /forum/post/15529693

I have an XBR4 52" LCD, S550 BD player, AppleTV, Wii, comcast (motorola) HD DVR. Have been considering an AV receiver and at about $1500, I am thinking 4400ES or 3808ci. What is making me lean to sony is CEC or HDMI control. Anyone had any issues with it and is it possible to macro non CEC devices like the DVR or the Wii with the AV remote? BTW if I am not considering anything else that might be better please let me know

I have the Denon 3808CI, it DOES suport HDMI CEC as of the fall feature pack update. However, IMHO, a good univeral remote control is vastly more valuable than using HDMI CEC. HDMI can cause problems, like components turning on or off when you least expect it (say when troubleshooting your AVR and power it off, poof, your TV goes off too).

Personally, I'd recommend you disable HDMI CEC on all devies and get something like the Harmony One. Much better all around!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny you should mention that, I actually have a an old 300 series RF Universal Remote that I am quite happy with. I have heard so much about the CEC that was tempted to consider it. Thank you for your input. CEC aside do you have any other AV receivers I should consider?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have the 3808CI and LOVE it! Firmware updates are easy, pretty often, and the GUI kicks butt too. Denon has the best Audyssey implementation, as well. For me, I couldn't think of a better receiver. 10000% happy!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you haven't encountered the problem with 24p screen drops? Seems the owner thread had some mention of it. With my XBR4 I was a bit worried.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by radm1f /forum/post/15536495

So you haven't encountered the problem with 24p screen drops? Seems the owner thread had some mention of it. With my XBR4 I was a bit worried.

No, I have a Pioneer Kuro. I boycott Sony products.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts