AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around for a 3U PC case that will hold a standard ATX Mboard.

Is there such a beast as I have been unable to find any?

TIA,

Joe

·
Registered
187 Posts
You'd be hard pressed to find a 3U case which supports standard ATX - There just isn't the space. Unless, of course it uses a MicroATX power supply - but then MATX PSU and ATX motherboard doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
The power suppy will need to be custom for a 3U design; but there is enough height for the PCI cards to stand up correctly.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yes, the power supply will be non-standard. I found that out the hard way. :( Also, it will take standard PCI cards unless they have connectors along the top that cause wires 'n such to stick up above the card top. A good example of this is the SB Live where all the different connectors are along the top of the card. The lid on my 3U case won't close unless I bend down the connectors on the SB. Eek! Note that this is only necessary if you have something plugged into the connectors. But I can see the same thing happening with SCSI cards, IDE RAID cards, etc.

So be careful with the height of some PCI cards, and don't expect to be able to replace the noisy power supply with a standard ATX quiet PS.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gmanhdtv
Not so grasshopper, see my threads under "Reference HTPC" and "as Promised". High quality 3U case that will hold any mobo you throw at it!
I searched on "Reference HTPC" and got a list of 14 pages.

I don't feel like hunting through all that - all I am asking for is some website URL's that I can go to.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Joe Q,

Go to caseoutlet.com that is where I got mine. For pictures of my HTPC using this case do a search under "user name" = gmanhdtv and check out the previous mentioned posts. If you need more info, let me know!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Our company manufactures 3U Rack Mount chassis for industrial / institutional use. I don't have any photos handy, I'll take some on the weekend and post them Monday.

Here is a URL for an older revision (REV 2) of the chassis from one of our customers;

http://www.harddata.com/3ucases.html

The current revision (REV 4) has a nice locking fold down door, will accommodate 6 (yes, six) 5-1/4" devices as well as a floppy. Fully ATX compatible, and will fit a full size ATX spec power supply (at the cost of 2 of the available 5-1/4" bays).

Cost, without power supply is about $175.00USD

The box itself is really quite nice, the next step will be developing a decent face plate for the HTPC guys. I'm working on it!

Again, I'll post up some pics over the next few days.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks folks for the info. Now to do some more homework on this project:)

This case will be for an Asus P4 Mboard, a MYHD card,Radeon,Sound card,1684 firewire card and a NIC as well as a small boot drive and 1 or 2 160 GB drives.

Any idea if heat is going to be a problem?

Also Looking forward to some larger pictures from Jeff .

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
56 Posts
In regards to cooling,...we have provision for five 80mm fans and two 60mm fans. That should be more than ample for airflow. However, there is the noise factor to contend with. I've stood in front of a 42U rack loaded with these cases and it was like standing in a wind tunnel! I was amazed the 3000 lb rack wasn't propelled along the floor. mmm,...hover-rack. :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here are some pictures of my personal 3U chassis. If I can get the pics inserted properly! Please excuse the wiring, I was in a bit of a hurry to slap it all together. Note that the 80mm fans are isolated from the chassis using rubber grommets, this made a HUGE difference in the amount noise coming off the machine.

This chassis was fabricated in my own precision fabrication shop as part of a 85 unit run for another customer.

Athlon 1700+XP

Epox KH8A+

512MB RAM

30GB Seagate Primary

30GB Maxtor Secondary

Pioneer 103S DVD

Creative 52X CDROM

Yamaha SCSI Burner

ASUS GForce 2GTS

Creative SBLive

Adaptec SCSI

Firewire Card

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Schmidt
Here are some pictures of my personal 3U chassis.

This chassis was fabricated in my own precision fabrication shop as part of a 85 unit run for another customer.

Jeff,

Thanks for the pictures. I am confused though. Where can I buy this?

You said this was fabbed by you.

Joe

·
Registered
33 Posts
The main problem with every 3U case I've seen is depth. A 22" deep server case does not fit well into many audio racks. It's possible to construct 2U and 3U cases that are only 17" deep, but it's a very tight fit if you want a full complement of drives. If, like me, you decide you don't need a floppy, things get a little easier.

Amanda Walker

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.