1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I am living in an apartment 10th floor.

I want to make my 3mx4m room HT room.

I want to use subwhooferg firing even late night.

I dont want to worry if any sound is going to my neighbors up and down ..

when I check people say many thing floating room etc.

Do I need flooting room?

It is concerete building.

So all room surrunding my HT belong to my apartment but I have neighbor upstairs and downstairs.

How should I isolate my HT room to fire my HT system.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You would need to carefully build a room within a room. All 6 sides would beed to be treated. You may not care about sound going up or down, but once in your ceiling and floor the sound will travel side to side. You cannot expect to only treat the side walls.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White /forum/post/18283879

Welcome to the forum.

You would need to carefully build a room within a room. All 6 sides would beed to be treated. You may not care about sound going up or down, but once in your ceiling and floor the sound will travel side to side. You cannot expect to only treat the side walls.

Thank You Ted,

Well in fact, What I want to do is that sound doesnt go up and down, especially down...

side walls are ok because they belong to me. but my neighbor downstairs get disturbed much eaisly. upstairs is young single so it seems ok for now for him.

is it ok if I isolate only floor?

·
Registered
30,796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleT /forum/post/18283912

Thank You Ted,

Well in fact, What I want to do is that sound doesnt go up and down, especially down...

side walls are ok because they belong to me. but my neighbor downstairs get disturbed much eaisly. upstairs is young single so it seems ok for now for him.

is it ok if I isolate only floor?

You need to isolate all room boundaries because once the vibrations enter the structure, though any surface, they will be conveyed through it in all directions.

In addition, there is no way that, short of Herculean structural modifications, you will be able to achieve what you ask for:

You will either have to learn some consideration for others or move to a separate house. I have lived in an 11th floor apartment of a reinforced concrete building with a larger living/listening room for 20 years now and I have had only 2-3 complaints over that period. Although I do play it as loud as I want to, I do not run the system in "party mode," I try to consider others in choosing when/how I play the system and, I must admit, I have a weekend house where I can be inconsiderate of others (except for my wife).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Ted. I am searching about it a lot. Recently in a forum, I saw that someone did his basement a floating room with 20cm(8') walls etc but he says he shakes his home with subwhoofer and almost imposible to isolate subwhofers in HT systems. I doubted what he said. but on the other hand if it is the case for him then it also seems to me impossbile even if I do a floating room in room....

In future I will try an independent house but since then I want to enjoy my system too....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Karl HI!,

I have consideration dont worry. It is not problem. Problem is the way to isolate my room for my purpose if it is possible or not...I didnt have any complaints by the way.. I am also thinking of moving a new house in future...

·
Registered
7,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/18284096

...there is no way that, short of Herculean structural modifications, you will be able to achieve what you ask for:

This is really the bottom line

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bottom Line: For single concrete walls and ceilings, bigger air cavities are better at higher frequencies, but much worse at lower frequencies. This is because the system is coupled. All rigidly connected.

The system will only significantly improve by decoupling a new stud wall from the block wall and then adding drywall and insulation. As long as the system is coupled, performance will be seriously compromised in the low frequencies.

quoted from that side....

so.. how will it look like?

can anyone addsome photos or real done job?

RAW WAll+drywall+studs(wood or metal)rockwool dense 150kg/m3/drywall

or RAW WAll+studs(wood or metal)rockwool dense 150kg/m3/drywall

or RAW WAll+OSB +studs(wood or metal)rockwool dense 150kg/m3/drywall

which works better?

·
Registered
380 Posts
are you even allowed to make the modifications to the apartment you are considering?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/18291284

Quite the opposite.

Oh yes Kal,

after reading the web page I got it.

Thanks for attention.

One guy claims he solved the problem not so strong subwoofer.

HE said he used rockwool OSB wood. I am not sure how much that reduces sound going down..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts