AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsv /forum/post/12993376

Anybody have seen replicated 3xDVD with HD content in the market?

Yes, the adult film Pirates is a 720p 3x DVD. If I had a Xbox 360 add-on, I suspect based on the noise that "Method Man: Live from the Sunset Strip" generates that it, too, is one as well.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
So it's a triple layer 13 Gig DVD?

·
Registered
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ79 /forum/post/12996434

No, it's a DVD9 that spins 3x faster to achieve HD bitrates.

Are you serious?

·
Registered
6,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcase /forum/post/12997419

Are you serious?

Yes he is

DVD = 10mbs (more or less)

HD DVD = 30mbs

10 x3 = 30

But that doesnt mean you run the DVD at full mux

You just uses the peak.

Example you have a movie recorded at 720/24P at 100 minutes

avarage bitrate of 8mbs and a DD640 track = 6,5 gb

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon /forum/post/12994549

Yes, the adult film Pirates is a 720p 3x DVD. If I had a Xbox 360 add-on, I suspect based on the noise that "Method Man: Live from the Sunset Strip" generates that it, too, is one as well.

Digital Playground "Pirates" was released in 2005 as boxet with wmvhd 720p (as DVD-ROM not 3xDVD!) and two DVD's.
http://www.soundstageav.com/audiovid...s/20060201.htm

3xDVD not the same as WMVHD!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsv /forum/post/13001304

Digital Playground "Pirates" was released in 2005 as boxet with wmvhd 720p (as DVD-ROM not 3xDVD!) and two DVD's.
http://www.soundstageav.com/audiovid...s/20060201.htm

3xDVD not the same as WMVHD!

Obviously you do not read the Adult HD DVD thread very often. I have the Pirates HD DVD (not a DVD with a windows media file on it), and yes its still 720P and yes it still uses a DVD9 disc. Whether it is a DVD3x I don't know, and personally I doubt it. 1080 encodes apparently can average as low as 12-15 Mbs I could see a 720 encode not requiring the disc to spin faster.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Topweasel

On digitalplayground only listed old release "Pirates" WMVHD and newest

on BD only. But i more interested in sport, music video content (40-60min) on 3xDVD than in adult films.

3xDVD advantage for people who have HD DVD players (blue laser) but also for every PC with red laser $30 DVD-ROM + player as powerDVD7 or winDVD8.

3xDVD with web connect is very good solution to promote HD DVD.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsv /forum/post/13002652

Topweasel

On digitalplayground only listed old release "Pirates" WMVHD and newest

on BD only. But i more interested in sport, music video content (40-60min) on 3xDVD than in adult films.

3xDVD advantage for people who have HD DVD players (blue laser) but also for every PC with red laser $30 DVD-ROM + player as powerDVD7 or winDVD8.

3xDVD with web connect is very good solution to promote HD DVD.

Didn't search well enough. Go to the site their is a link to Pirates on the side. Their are four options, The DVD, The Audio CD, The HD DVD, and the BD. The DVD one is the three disc set that includes the WMVHD. The HD DVD and the BD are the correctly titled. I know the HD DVD is an HD9 disc as for it running at 3x I have no idea but again its a true HD DVD disc. I wouldn't be surprised if the BD is the same way (Warner did get BD9 into the specs).

Side note. All three versions, including the BD are really sold as the DVD primarily. The HD and BD discs much like the WMVHD disc are the last disc in the three disc set.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've found info about nice HD content (50-60 min) duplicated onto 3xDVD (DVD5-R).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bennett-Watt HD Productions Releases High Definition (HD) Easy Listening Music DVD's & HD DVD's

"Discoveries…America Music, Sunrise Sunset w/ Gary Jess. This is the first of many HDDVD & DVD products that perfectly showcase incredible HD images with piano accompaniment of Gary Jess."

United States of America (Press Release) November 6, 2007 -- This is the first of many HDDVD & DVD products that perfectly showcase incredible HD images with the musical brilliance of Steinway Artist, Gary Jess. Not only are these programs a virtual escape into the natural world, they offer a delightful digital background for a variety of environments and situations… home relaxation, reception areas, restaurants, dinner parties, plane/train/car travel, health care facilities and a myriad of other uses. Both the standard definition DVD’s and the high definition HDDVD’s are 52 minutes in length, playable in all regions and looped for hours of continuous play. DVD’s are $24.95 and HDDVD’s are $29.95 MSRP.

The “Discoveries…America Music” series is the latest collection from Bennett-Watt Entertainment Inc., which has been producing quality, informative, instructional, and entertainment programs since 1986 with over 300 titles released and more to come, say producers Kelly and Jim Watt. The Watt’s wanted to give people a chance to feast their eyes on the gorgeous, leisurely HD images they’ve acquired in the course of filming the Discoveries…America series, which consists of 51 - 1 hour documentaries on every state in the US, plus Washington, D.C. This spectacular high definition footage paired with the musical artistry of Gary Jess contains only music and pictures… without narration or distractions. Several other “Discoveries…America Music” titles are currently in production, including “New England”, “Water”, “Desert Southwest”, “Seasons” and “Nature & Wildlife”.

Pioneers in High Definition television & DVD production, Bennett-Watt Entertainment recently concluded 7 years of production of the acclaimed and award winning “Discoveries…” series of documentary programs. “Discoveries…Ireland” x 3, “Discoveries…Spain” x 7, “Discoveries…Argentina” x 4 and their most recent series filmed over the last 5 years “Discoveries…America” x 51, which are one hour HD collections of video essays on every single state in the U.S.A. plus Washington, D.C. Other projects include TV/video/DVD series “Fly Fishing Video Magazine”, “Hooked On Fly Tying”, “How To Fly Fish”, “New Hooked On Fly Tying”, “Fly Fishing Adventure” & “Baking with Sweet Addition”.

For more information:

13021 244th Ave SE, Issaquah, WA 98027, PH 425-392-3935, [email protected] , www.Bennett-Watt.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And another information provided by Jim Watt:

We've had excellent luck authoring HD DVD's in DVDSP using a 720P master and the H264 codec in compressor. We get an hour program on a DVD 5 with enough room left over for a motion menu at the beginning. We're doing them for distribution, replicating in a 7 burner tower.

The three titles we've produced, we market on our own website. "Discoveries...America Music, Sunrise/Sunset", "Discoveries...America Music, New England" and "Discoveries...Argentina, Patagonia". We've sold several hundred and have had no complaints.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imho, this is a right way for small studios: 3xDVD duplicated in hundreds on DVD5/9/10-R.

For authoring HD-DVD content we have non expensive tools:

Ulead DMF6 (bad is only support only mpeg2 - need vc1 and h264)

NetBlender DoStudio (HDi authoring + multiplexer from Corel/Ulead for mpeg2/vc1/h264)

Apple DVD Studio Pro4 (mpeg2 and h264 with old-style DVD menu)

Now i need (looking for) info about replicated 3xDVD.

·
Registered
666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewitte /forum/post/13011896

Do those things play in an a3?

Yes, 3xdvd is part of the HD DVD spec, it has to play in all of them.

My question is, how easy is it to author one from an HD file on my computer?

·
Registered
613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket /forum/post/13012859

I'm doing a quick test using Uled Movie Studio. It has a HD-DVD option but its 25Mbit MPEG-2.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket /forum/post/13012859

There's already a massive thread and wealth of information about this topic, as a sticky thread "The Official Guide to HD-DVD Authoring".

·
Registered
613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom /forum/post/13015150

There's already a massive thread and wealth of information about this topic, as a sticky thread "The Official Guide to HD-DVD Authoring".

Thanks.

·
Registered
JVC RS500U, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 11.2 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom /forum/post/13015150

Correct. Once you have all of the correct software installed, the process is works when followed. I've captured and converted all of my HDV tapes from my Sony camcorder to DVD-R which holds about 60 minutes of HD.

However, after going neutral and getting a PS3 this time last year, I found it much easier to simply move the source .m4p files to a portable HDD and viewing them from the PS3. Simply plug and play from the USB 2.0 connected HDD.

I don't have Vista or MS Media Center, just XP, and haven't been able to get the PS3 to recognize my PC as a media server, but imagine that this feature allows for viewing HDV or AVCHD files directly from the PC. Eliminating the need for converting and burning to DVD-R does have advantages.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
There would be pointless to use anything but a DVD5 for content under 20 minutes. And it would work very well for content under 40 minutes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts