AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed the arrival of a "defect" in the picture output from one of my 3xxx units. This defect is a pattern of vertical bars, most apparent in dark picture areas, which alternate red, blue, black and total 10 sets of bars across the width of the screen.

Thinking that this meant the imminent demise of an aging 3060 and this unit being the "main" Replay connected to the satellite box, I decided to swap it with my other 3xxx which has performed OTA recording duties and showed no such pattern on the output.

Gadzooks! The replacement showed the exact same pattern. Further investigation narrowed the cause to the S-Video input of the unit. Monitoring the S-Vid signal on the way into the Replay (easy to do with the Sony SBV-3000 matrix switcher, just push a single button on the remote to switch between input monitoring and output monitoring) showed no pattern so I decided to check the composite hookup.

At this point I learned a lesson that anyone switching inputs on a Replay would be wise to remember. I went into setup, changed the input from S-Vid to composite, saved the changes and horrors, the pattern was still there.

Now, thinking of all possible causes, including crosstalk between cables, I pulled out the S-vid cable. Result: no signal screen, meaning unit was still on S-Vid for input. Warm reboot took care of that. So remember to always reboot after changing input options!

Composite input signal is clear, no pattern on output.

Has anyone encountered such S-Vid problem on their unit(s)? Seems that it may be a systemic problem. After all, what are the odds that two of my units would develop the same problem?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have used the S-Video input on my ShowStopper for over 2 years with no apparent problem.

Maybe the problem is not the replays but the S-Video cable or the the S-Video source.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
BTW I've never noticed anything like that using S-video -- both DISH and DSS, hooked up in a variety of configurations.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by karog
I have used the S-Video input on my ShowStopper for over 2 years with no apparent problem.

Maybe the problem is not the replays but the S-Video cable or the the S-Video source.
So have I for years, on both cable and last 6 months on Dish. I first noticed this a couple of months ago. Got progressively more noticeable. As I've stated, the S-Video going into the Replay is perfect. But just in case I replaced the cables with no change in PQ. Heat is not a factor as the units have outboard drives.

I really don't mind using the composite, the PQ is excellent that way too. Just curious as to what's going on.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Well that's strange.

Don't you think it must be some kind of interference, ground loop, or interaction with that particular combo of equipment?

Does the DVD player (plugged into the 3060 S-Video) exhibit the same thing now?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was my first thought but I've eliminated all of those possible reasons. If I have time I'll check it with the DVD player, right now it's going into the 2xxx for reasons I will not mention.

What's strange is that apparently no one has come across this problem and I have two Replays that exhibit it.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Additional info update. The composite input also displays the bar pattern, although so faintly that they're not noticeable unless you're specifically looking for them. In audio terms I would characterize them to be 40-50db down from the S-Video pattern. And I've yet to see any indication of them in the input signal to the Replay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.