AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 590 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #501
Thank you for your response. I knew you had heard both subs and the HT18's I currently have which is why I wanted to hear your thoughts. I just checked the the B&C just dipped below $500 on amazon but there is only 1 left. Might start with that :)

Do you have any suggestions on the best way to integrate those with the HT18s?

The best way would be have the boxes tuned the same. These drivers are beasts my buddy Pete that you see on here that just built two texted me tonight saying he played these at zero on his avr and the bass is going right three his chest and with very low distortion.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
The best way would be have the boxes tuned the same. These drivers are beasts my buddy Pete that you see on here that just built two texted me tonight saying he played these at zero on his avr and the bass is going right three his chest and with very low distortion.
His HT18's are sealed from what I see........

If this was me, I'd sell the HT18's, all 4. Go with 2 21" port subs tuned low and if your still lacking midbass, then add some PA460's nearfield tuned HIGH or sealed for that extra slam.

The 21" drivers are pricey (and worth it). They alone might get what you want, assuming you can built a big enough box and port it low enough to really maximize what they offer.

·
Registered
601 Posts
You're right, they are sealed, however i'm not opposed to re-doing the boxes. The subs were one of my first attempts at DIY and i wanted to keep it simple. Plus my buddy owns a shop bot now so I don't have to worry about my inability to cut a square anymore lol.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
You're right, they are sealed, however i'm not opposed to re-doing the boxes. The subs were one of my first attempts at DIY and i wanted to keep it simple. Plus my buddy owns a shop bot now so I don't have to worry about my inability to cut a square anymore lol.
I still stand by my statement. I think 2 21" ported BC drivers will more than satisfy you compared to your HT... plus the BC's will have a warranty, whereas the HT subs are no longer sold or under warranty......

Just a thought.....

Also the PA460's do well in a sealed box, so again, if the 21's in large boxes dont do it for a, then add the sealed PA460's to fix that chest thump, but I dont think you will need it......

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thank you for your response. I knew you had heard both subs and the HT18's I currently have which is why I wanted to hear your thoughts. I just checked the the B&C just dipped below $500 on amazon but there is only 1 left. Might start with that :)

Do you have any suggestions on the best way to integrate those with the HT18s?
Thanks for the price tip @Jedi940. I just bought 4 off Amazon from JJ’s RealBuy for 474.99 each, no tax and free shipping.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I still stand by my statement. I think 2 21" ported BC drivers will more than satisfy you compared to your HT... plus the BC's will have a warranty, whereas the HT subs are no longer sold or under warranty......

Just a thought.....

Also the PA460's do well in a sealed box, so again, if the 21's in large boxes dont do it for a, then add the sealed PA460's to fix that chest thump, but I dont think you will need it......
Very well then. That's quite a recommendation. I just figured since i already had these subs, why not try and integrate them.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thanks for the price tip @Jedi940. I just bought 4 off Amazon from JJ’s RealBuy for 474.99 each, no tax and free shipping.
And I just bought the last 2 :D Not an authorized dealer but it stated that their return policy is the same as amazon's so hopefully there should be no issues. Can't justify an extra $125 per driver to buy from parts express.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Very well then. That's quite a recommendation. I just figured since i already had these subs, why not try and integrate them.

I’d totally try to do the same, however the HT18 should sell decently fast, and the 21” are just a better bargain if you can make decent sized boxes.

I’ve heard Mikes a couple times and they just rock my socks off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (so ignore any typos grammatical errors because my iPhone predictive text stinks)

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'll see how the system sounds without the HT18s and decide then. I am fairly confident I could sell them easily. Still have the original boxes too. I was planning on just copying eng-399's design so hopefully they will sound just as awesome.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Make sure you're buying the correct ohm DS21s off amazon or elsewhere. The discounts are usually for the 8 ohm models. I haven't seen those really good deals on the 4 ohm too often. 8 ohm is fine if you have enough amp.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I can imagine 2 21s ported to say 16hz would outperform 4 sealed ht18s, maybe not ported but defo sealed. The advantage in my view of these drivers is in the same ported box as ht drivers they offer the same output down low but tons of midbass higher up. I don't think you will be lacking in either mid bass or low bass with these, it's sort of like a best of both worlds option and imo is what I will go for when I have the money! Good luck.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
601 Posts
Make sure you're buying the correct ohm DS21s off amazon or elsewhere. The discounts are usually for the 8 ohm models. I haven't seen those really good deals on the 4 ohm too often. 8 ohm is fine if you have enough amp.
Yea we noticed. I didn't catch it till after I placed the order. I also sent redliner a PM to make sure he knew as well. We will be calling on Monday to confirm. I have a feeling you might be right and they are the 8 ohm version :(

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Yea we noticed. I didn't catch it till after I placed the order. I also sent redliner a PM to make sure he knew as well. We will be calling on Monday to confirm. I have a feeling you might be right and they are the 8 ohm version :(
Just buy 2 more and then run 2 per side for a 4 ohm load....

LOL....

Yeah I know, doubles the budget.... but its how I think Mike is running his lol......

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yea, I thought about just bridging a 6000 and running them in parallel. I haven't checked the T/S parameters on the 8 Ohm speakers yet though. I would want to make sure they are similar. There have been other speakers on this forum that have had significantly different specs between Ohm versions and I don't want that to change my output significantly.

·
Registered
357 Posts
May be wrong but the 6000 can't be bridged only the 3000 as the 6000 is basically two 3000s in one unit? Maximum the 6000 can put into 8 ohm is about 1100w rms which won't get the full potential out the 21s.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Dollar for dollar you'd get many more pa460 cones and they would put out more bass. 10 pa460 could be had for the price of 2 of the BC 21's. If you have room for 10 and want to deal with all the boxes etc you'll do great. For me, output is important but what is addicting about the bc's is the ultra low distortion in the reproduction of bass. I love mine! At 12' away at 0db it's like I'm at a damn rock concert. Like standing facing a heat lamp except the heat is bass. Moaaar

·
Registered
601 Posts
@Jedi940 I got an email confirmation last night that they are 8 ohms and my order was cancelled.
Yep, so did I. They asked if I wanted to cancel and I went back to Amazon and to do that. Haven't got the final email from them yet but I will be ordering from Parts-Express now. Gotta pay tax now so that kinda sucks. I guess the upside is that now I'll be getting them from an Authorized dealer.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Yep, so did I. They asked if I wanted to cancel and I went back to Amazon and to do that. Haven't got the final email from them yet but I will be ordering from Parts-Express now. Gotta pay tax now so that kinda sucks. I guess the upside is that now I'll be getting them from an Authorized dealer.

Usspeaker. Al is the man.

501 - 520 of 590 Posts