AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
This movie is a hoot! :D

Overacted to the point of vulgarity with a script at a 4th grade level, and a cheesefest of silly bombastic special effects that are not too convincing. Anne Baxter screeching "Moses, Moses" always cracks me up. Pure camp!

God, I love Cecil B DeMille. Are you ready for your closeup.....

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well not according to the site below. But we all know how truly accurate any online listings tend to be.

http://www.dtv720p.com/

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gcawad
It will be according to Detroit's ABC site, but they have been wrong in this past.
Same here in Cincinnati, although this one has been very accurate "overall", it's also been wrong from time to time .... The Cincy ABC affiliate sends us a ABC HD "Movies and specials" newsletter, this is the latest version, which I received on 4/8/03 . (Note: 10 Commandments and E.T. have been listed as HD the last 2 versions of the newsletter)

4/12/03 - 9:00pm to 11:00pm

"My Best Friend's Wedding"

4/13/03 - 7:00pm to 9:00pm

"Dr. Dolittle"

4/19/03 - 8:00pm to 11:00pm

"The Birdcage"

4/20/03 - 7:00pm to approximately 11:44pm

"The Ten Commandments"

4/26/03 - 8:00pm to 11:00pm

"Forrest Gump"

5/03/03 - 8:00pm to 11:00pm

"Gladiator"

5/11/03 - 7:00pm to 10:00pm

"E.T. The Extra Terrestrial"

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
I don't think it was shown in HD last year at this time - we will see. The orignal VistaVision film was shot in an aspect ratio of 1.66, so not quite enough to fill a 16:9 screen. However the anamorphic DVD reframed it for 16:9 and looks excellent and has remixed DD5.1 audio.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
I wondered about Gladiator in 1 night(3 hours) also ... Last time ABC had it HD, it was over 2 nights, It might have even been 3 hrs one night, 2 the next or something of that sort ... I don't know what the "actual full length is", but, I can't imagine how they could cut it down to 3 hours with commercials ....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm looking at ABC's movie index, and The Ten Commandments is the only one that doesn't have the "Simulcast in HDTV" logo.

Too bad, since our ABC affiliate has just turned up its HDTV service (KTUL Tulsa).

Kevin

·
Registered
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by J.Mike Ferrara
This movie is a hoot! :D

Overacted to the point of vulgarity with a script at a 4th grade level, and a cheesefest of silly bombastic special effects that are not too convincing. Anne Baxter screeching "Moses, Moses" always cracks me up. Pure camp!

God, I love Cecil B DeMille. Are you ready for your closeup.....
I love Edward G. Robinson playing the Hebrew slave.

(In his best ganster-movie voice.....)

Yeah, see, we gotta get Moses, see.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JStigler
"The Ten Commandments" was not and will not be in HD per ABC. I looked it up and that is what they say at the net.

JStigler

WFAA-DT
Thanks for the info, I knew it hasn't been HD in the past, but I wonder, where are the Detroit and Cincinnati affiliates getting their "HD Info?" I had assumed it was from ABC ...

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
:D Good One James.

I watched the DVD last night. Its a good production. I'll be looking to see if ABC carries it in HD, but I would not expect it to be any better than the DVD.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Quote:
I'll be looking to see if ABC carries it in HD, but I would not expect it to be any better than the DVD.
Why would you say that?

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
I don't think that old Vistavision Technicolor film was in that great of shape. The DVD looks good, but I don't think that HD can bring more out of that film source. I'll watch it, I might be wrong, but we'll have to see. Its just old film, just didn't seem as sharp as modern film is.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was looking at Nitewatchman's list and it doesn't mention Eloise at The Plaza on 4/27 being be in HD? That's disapointing, considiring the taste in HD we got a couple weeks ago on Wonderful World of Disney with Eisner and Vassilieva in HD.

Someone tell me this isn't true!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.