AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to who is more prone to purchasing a STB. I think people with 16:9 screens are more inclined or obligated to having a STB than people with 4:3.

Thanks

Bert

· Registered
470 Posts
Bert,

To get a more accurate picture, you man want to only include digital (or HD capable) 4:3 sets. Most STB's will allow you to output to an analog set in 480i mode, but it's usually not worth spending $400-$800 on an STB for.

· Registered
750 Posts
Your poll doesn't make sense. If I want HDTV I'll get a STB because it's required, doesn't matter if I have a 4x3 HD ready set or a 16x9 HD ready set.

Or are you asking who has a set top box and what aspect ratio TV do they have.

The only thing keeping me from a STB now is price. So If I had a 16x9 or 4x3 I still wouldn't have a STB till the price came down. The TV itself doesn't influence me to buy one at all. The price and content available in my area does.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My point is that if you own a 4:3 HD ready set you may not be as inclined to purchase a STB since most broadcasts are SD 4:3, not requiring any kind of zoom/stretch mode to view. While someone with a 16:9 set will watch SD zoomed/stretched or with black/grey bars unless the content is HD or widescreen. I own a 16:9 set and STB, but if I couldn't get a STB I would probably have purchased a 4:3 HD ready set.

· Registered
750 Posts
I don't agree with this assumtion. I believe that people will get a STB if they want HDTV. Wether they have a 16x9 HD set or a 4x3 HD set, both can display HD the same and give an awesome picture. For those that don't care about HD and only want to fill their TV screen, then yes I see your point of view. But these people wouldn't want HD for the black bars it causes, why would they spend hundreds of dollars on top of that to get a STB?

· Registered
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeff lam
I don't agree with this assumtion. I believe that people will get a STB if they want HDTV. Wether they have a 16x9 HD set or a 4x3 HD set, both can display HD the same and give an awesome picture. For those that don't care about HD and only want to fill their TV screen, then yes I see your point of view. But these people wouldn't want HD for the black bars it causes, why would they spend hundreds of dollars on top of that to get a STB?
I'm with you Jeff, I don't think it matters if you have a native 4:3 or 16:9 set. If you want HD, you buy the STB.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.