AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I played a hunch and asked the RNS servers how to upgrade from 520411140 (4.1.1 build 140) to 5204130190 (4.3.0 build 190) -- and that, it knew the answer to.

Now, this may well not be the real 4.3 update -- it could be the current betatest or something.

first: new new haikus. In fact, some old ones missing -- that file's reverted to its 4.1 state, all the 4.1.1 additions went poof.

second: .g2 files galore. It looks like every script, code module, panel and wizard file now has an associated 152-byte .g2 file. ptv.bin also has a 216-byte .g file. I'm thinking digital signatures to make lots of our fun & games more difficult.

third: new ROM, version 0.43. checking the .g sig on ptv.bin? most of the ROM (both old and new) is compressed -- it might be time to figure out how to uncompress it.

fourth: new "about this replay" panel; demo mode enabled, serial number, isn, inbound port #, activation key

fifth: new software modules II2cLoader.out and ShmooVideo.out

sixth: new privacy policy, dated November 20 -- just like the October 5th on we had, except missing the assurance that ReplayTV doesn't collect information on IVS use.

seven: new & changed setup panels. One change shows something I hadn't noticed before -- in the *current* setup wizard (initial setup), 49152 ZONE, 777 ZONE and 765 ZONE do things (exit setup, turn on demo mode, and toggle connection types respectively, it looks like) -- 4.3 removes the 765 magic -- I wonder if it enables the modems in the current 4000 software??

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no new magic zone codes, but a whole buncha new CFP codes (well, 6). all the old ones are there, but they may not do the same thing.

speed enhancements on/off: DPLJOLQ DCC53Z6

guidetool on/off: AQKGAUU CTQ3YVK

replay channel save deferred on/off: CRORIRC A9Q3VD8

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I know it's been said before, but you are an a amazing dude JTL! I appreciate your musings here. Thanks for the foreshadow, and all of your contributions here!!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if the guidetool is on, "Clone channel" and "Copy show" menu options are available.

speed enhancements switch between two different functions for saving replay channel set files. I'd guess one's the old way, and the other is a new faster-but-less-trusted way.

it doesn't really look like the deferred RCS saves do anything at all -- registry variable set, but don't see anything that reads it.

Looks like all there's general support for encrypted HTTP query variables, and the httpfs functions require it to be used, in at least some cases (guess: for the filesystems that used to require the magic user-agent to be used). ICrypt.out is gone, but the ICrypt module is still in use -- it's probably been moved into ptv.bin.

and ptv.bin doesn't have a symbol table any more. This is gonna be FUN.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The g2 files are all of the form 0x00000010 0x00000010 . That's strikingly similar to the 'Valid' and 'ValidSig2' registry variables that got added recently, smushed together.

the ptv.bin.g file is 0x00000018 0x00000018 . That could mean that the 0x10s and 0x18s are length counts, counting by words.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first 16 bytes of a .g2 file cdare the md5sum of the matching file.

The "Valid" registry setting is an md5 of the serial number, the ascii representation of the system's "ISC" (that's new), the ascii representation of the OEM code, and some form of the SysConfig/Auth registry tree. I haven't found a combination of ISC values and registry represenations that makes it come out right, yet.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My ISC is evidentally '0'. Initial Setup Complete date, with 4000s grandfathered in? It looks like 411zone shows an "ISC" in a month/day/yearish format.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wait for Replay to fix the typo, if that's what it really is.

I don't have the update running on the 4000, I just manually downloaded the files.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Dude, I've been looking at the times of your posts... don't you ever sleep?

You're amazing! Thanks so much for the fascinating info.

Keep up the good work.

Oh, and please don't operate any heavy machinery. ;0)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jtl
The first 16 bytes of a .g2 file cdare the md5sum of the matching file.
The rest are an elgamel signature of the md5sum, using the 'version 3' signature system from the beecrypt library.

There are two different public keys in use; key #1 is used to verify the registry files. I haven't found where the g2 files are verified, they may be using the other key.

In any case, this is gonna be a tough nut to crack -- we may have to settle for understanding how and why we can't make changes.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think probably so, but I also think we'll be able to get it working again pretty quickly. I want at least one actual example of what the new queries look like before diving into that code, though.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jtl
...In any case, this is gonna be a tough nut to crack -- we may have to settle for understanding how and why we can't make changes.
I'm not that worried about it yet. Surely it won't be as difficult as... as... say getting that 40 gigger outa the ( jtl proof ) 4K security cage? ;)

Of course in the very worst case, we could always detach from the mothership?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Well, this probably explains the little strangeness I saw this morning.

It said "Last successful connect: 5/30/2002," yet it had obviously been getting up-to-date guide data all weekend.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I guess we'd have to assume the 4K's will also get 4.3.0? Interesting is this line from the new Shim article :

"The ReplayTV 4500s are similar to the already available ReplayTV 4000 models, but the new machines include updated software for easier use"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.