AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 106" Firehawk, so last night I took my Compaq MP 4800 projector down to my almost finished basement/HT to mask off the wall and make sure that this screen would work with my setup. After setting everything up and using my PC with a VGA connection to view my desktop and DVD (used LOTR FOTR) I'm a bit confused with where to place the projector so that all formats will be able to be viewed on my 16:9 screen without having to manually adjust the zoom and focus everytime I watch a different format??

I'm sure everyone has this issue arise when setting up their HT, but this one stumped me. ANy ideas? FYI, I will be using a PC for gaming and internet, a Denon 2900 for DVD, and a DISH PVR921 for HD and standard TV. The Compaq is a 2000 lumen, 800:1 contrast, XGA, 4:3 PJ. Any help or ideas would be appreciated as I really want to have the 16:9 screen as HD and DVD will be 80-90% of my viewing.

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
Sammy,

I would think your projector has a 16:9 setup somewhere in the menu and then most people have the 4:3 in the center of the screen, which again, would be done by the projector. Yes you loose pixels but it's usually the only way in can be done without moving the projector.

scott

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem I saw was that when I mounted the PJ about 15-17" from the screen, and zoomed it accordingly so that the dvd picture filled the screen from side to side, when I changed back to 4:3 mode the picture vertically went from floor to ceiling. If I set it in 4:3 mode in the center of the screen, then change it to dvd, the picture is not nearly big enough to fill the screen. What am I missing here??

·
Registered
726 Posts
You're not missing anything. You're observing the differences between 4:3 and 16:9 formats. To really explore, pick a zoom position, pick DVDs that have 2.35, 1.85, and 1.78 formats and watch how the image changes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the magic question is:

Is there a way to set the projctor so that HD, DVD and 4:3 feeds all fit within the boundaries of the screen without having to manually adjust the zoom and focus every time I cahnge inputs?

My screen is on the way, and I have a drop ceiling in my HT so moving the PJ to find the right mounting point will not be a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.