AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba TN55X81 55" 4:3 HD Ready TV. I am wanting to play some or all of the High Definition games available.

I hear Dragon's Lair 3D supports 1080i. What will this game look like on a 4:3 set? I heard it is "intended" for 16:9.

Also, NBA2K3 supports 720p, but I don't believe my set supports 720p, unfortunetely. Will my set not display this game or will it upconvert or down convert the game?

Please help because I don't believe we have local High Definition here and I am unable to get a satellite, because I live in an apartment building. I'm dying to get any High Definition that I can. Thanks!

·
Registered
28,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MTyson
I have a Toshiba TN55X81 55" 4:3 HD Ready TV. I am wanting to play some or all of the High Definition games available.

I hear Dragon's Lair 3D supports 1080i. What will this game look like on a 4:3 set? I heard it is "intended" for 16:9.
If the set is HD-ready, when it receives a 16:9 1080i signal it will present it letterboxed in the frame.

Quote:
Also, NBA2K3 supports 720p, but I don't believe my set supports 720p, unfortunetely. Will my set not display this game or will it upconvert or down convert the game?
You will have to consult your TV's owner's manual to determine if it can accept a 720p signal and what it does with it.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Though you have an 'HD-ready' TV, HDTV is by definition a 16:9 format, so you're probably better off staying at 480p, otherwise you'll distort or crop the picture, or you'll run letterboxed as mentioned by Josh.

If you want to try anyway, set the Xbox (in the Dashboard) to output whatever the TV supports.

See HDTV sections here:
http://members.cox.net/xboxfaq/faq.htm

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It turns out that my set does not support 720p. So, does that mean that it won't play it at all or would it upconvert to 1080i or downconvert to 480p. I don't have an owners manual, so if there is anyone who can answer this I'd greatly appreciate it.

I definetely wouldn't mind playing the game letterboxed. It should still look great. I just want some HD without having to spend over $700 on a JVC DVHS VCR and expensive D-Theater movies.

·
Registered
28,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MTyson
It turns out that my set does not support 720p. So, does that mean that it won't play it at all or would it upconvert to 1080i or downconvert to 480p. I don't have an owners manual, so if there is anyone who can answer this I'd greatly appreciate it.
I believe that means that it doesn't accept 720p at all. It just won't display it. In most cases an HD receiver will be able to scale a 720p image up to 1080i if you set it appropriately, but the TV is not capable of doing that itself, and the X-Box doesn't support it either.

You would have to program the X-Box to let it know that your TV accepts 480p and 1080i. The X-Box would then output a 720p game at 480p resolution.

There is one 1080i game currently (Dragon's Lair) that you would be able to play in HD. I have heard that the upcoming Enter the Matrix game will also support 1080i. Otherwise, you're out of luck.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to the TitanTV.com site. I don't know much about recieving OTA HDTV. What exactly would I have to do to get these HD channels?

I take it that they're coming from somewhere else other than my current cable company, so would I have to pay for the service? I signed up to be a member of their site and looked at stations on the guide. It said CSI was in HD, but how exactly would I recieve that station? I'd also need an HDTV reciever for this, right? I'm not sure where or if I could install an antenna, because I live in an apartment building and I was told that I couldn't have a satellie dish. I can't see them changing their tune to allow me to put up an antenna.

I would like to know more about this, it seems a bit complicated. Thanks

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The OTA HD broadcast channels are free, once you buy the proper equipment. First you need an HDTV ready set with HD component video input. A 4:3 digital set should support 16:9 squeeze since HD broadcasts are all 16:9 aspect ratio.

You need a OTA HD STB plus an UHF antenna to receive digital local TV broadcasts over-the-air. Current CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS, WB networks have most or some of their drama and comedy programs in HD. Goto www.antennaweb.org and enter your address/zipcode to get a list of the local digital TV channels (-DT) with a color-coded signal level and antenna pointing direction. If the stations are a strong signal level at your location (yellow or green code) and in the same direction, you might be able to use a good quality indoor antenna like the Zenith Silver Sensor which is under $40 at Sears. If you can put it near and point out a window pointing in the direction of the broadcast towers that would be best. The cheapest OTA HD STBs are the Samsung SIR-T151 and the Zenith ZDV420, both around $300-400.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.