AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions? The only thing that I have really seen so far is the Powerlite S1. Everything else seems to be DLP or 16:9.... Thanks so much for your valuable time!

TorQ

·
Registered
335 Posts
I tested the S1 and wasn't all that impressed, I saw major screen door, from 12 ft.

I also tested a few sonys and for the price wasn't happy. The only lcd that

I liked was the hitachi sw210, that runs 1400 in Canada.

I have demoed a few and ended up with the x1 for 1399, cheaper in the states,

and I'm lucky no rainbows for me or the other 10 people who have watched it.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I don't know why folks recommend DLPs when you asked for LCD's - but seriously consider the extra brightness and higher resolution of the Sharp and similar projectors. You just don't get it at SVGA resolutions - even if its just for watching movies the experience is different at the higher HD resolutions available now (cable) compared with DVDs

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RalphArch
I don't know why folks recommend DLPs when you asked for LCD's
Ralph, I don't know why some people can't answer questions with taking shots at and flaming others. Didn't your mommy ever tell you, 'if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Regardless at your shot at me, I will respond to your statement. While the poster did ask about 'lcd' projectors, he also has only posted one time and just registered for this forum. I have no idea how much he knows about dlp projectors and some of the advantages, and disadvantages, that they have, so I suggested he read some of the reviews/posts on the X1 and PB6100.

Sorry this offends your sense of 'posting etiquette' based on the world according to Ralphy.

Billy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't mean to start a flame war here! :) I've been lurking on the forum for a while now and have been doing research. Yes, I DO know how to use a search function. :) There just are so many projectors to look through and most of them do not fit my criteria in some way or another. Thanks to all those taking time to post on this thread!

Matt

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tnedator
Ralph, I don't know why some people can't answer questions with taking shots at and flaming others. Didn't your mommy ever tell you, 'if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Regardless at your shot at me, I will respond to your statement. While the poster did ask about 'lcd' projectors, he also has only posted one time and just registered for this forum. I have no idea how much he knows about dlp projectors and some of the advantages, and disadvantages, that they have, so I suggested he read some of the reviews/posts on the X1 and PB6100.

Sorry this offends your sense of 'posting etiquette' based on the world according to Ralphy.

Billy
In my response to thread you are correct in that my premise was that poster had already decided on LCD for whatever reason. Having one SVGA (HD capable) display device and now with an XGA I do think that it is a mistake to sell out on resolution (for the applications I noted) which would be the case with some of the other recommendations, which I speculate come from people with SVGA projectors (please don't take this personally - its a conjecture). If the interest is lower definition material such as DVDs the choice between SVGA/XGA or higher resolution projectors becomes less of an issue.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought the Compaq MP1200 (refurbished) online for $740 recently.

It's an XVGA LCD projector. 400:1 contrast ration. DVI digital input. VGA, S-video, composite. 1000 Lumens. Manual focus and zoom.

I like it. I use it for Playstation2 projection and Karaoke from my computer.

I have watched some DVDs on it, including Monsters Inc. I think the black level is kind of more like black/gray. And the yellows are not as yellow as they need to be. In the THX menu on Monsters Inc you could barely see the THX logo in the background for the Brightness Test.

For the price though , I really like it.

I also bought the Home Theater Kit option from HP for $75.00 which includes a component input.

Another online retailer is selling it for $749 with a carry case.

-Tom

Here's a pic of Karaoke in action:

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tnedator
Ralph, I don't know why some people can't answer questions with taking shots at and flaming others.
In this case I agree with you, as TorQ is a new user and may be unfamiliar with DLP vs. LCD.

However, in general I disagree with you to a point. I find it very annoying when I ask for suggestions on something like... for example, asking for the best 16:9 PJ for watching at night... and someone comes along and says "I like my X1".

C'mon,, the X1 is a 4:3 and I'm asking for opinions on a 16:9 PJ. Keep your comments to yourself unless they are relevant. Keeps the threads easier to read. :)

:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.