AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas how to get a 4:3 formatted movie to play in that aspect ratio on ps3? I have a bunch of concert dvd's that normally play in the correct 4:3 aspect ratio on my widescreen tv using a regular dvd player. But when I play them on the ps3, it just stretches the image to 16:9. I can't seem to find any option to correct this. Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I just bought my PS3 yeaterday and I waswondering about this. I haven't tried any 4x3 DVDs yet but I was thinking. My old DVD player sent a 480p to my TV and then in my TV I selected whether it should be stretched or not depending whether it was anamorphic 16x9 or 4x3. However the PS3 will send 16x9 1080i to the TV. I guess you are saying it is always stretched. One way would be to set the output to 480p while watching that DVD but that would be a pain.

Rick R

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Yeah, it's crappy that there's no option to display the material correctly. You have to wonder if they actually tested it. It's possible they did this for people with new plasma sets that need to be burned in, or to cater to people who insist their screens be filled, but it's crazy that there's no option to fix it.

It doesn't just affect DVDs; 4:3 extras on BDs are affected as well. Hopefully they will fix it soon. I (and I presume many others) can correct it in the display, but we shouldn't have to do that.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I tried playing regular 16x9 DVDs and 4x3 regular DVDs and it is not a problem. The PS3 goes into 480p output mode when playing regular DVDs so I can use the TVs stretch or not depending on whether it is an anamorphic 16x9 DVD or a 4x3 DVD.

On the PS3 I use the component output set to 1080i. It still switches to 480p for regular DVDs. Completly not a problem.

By the way the PS3 has the best progresive scan deinterlacer I have seen. Or at least better than my other DVD players.

Rick R

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl /forum/post/0

Yeah, it's crappy that there's no option to display the material correctly.

It doesn't just affect DVDs; 4:3 extras on BDs are affected as well. Hopefully they will fix it soon. I (and I presume many others) can correct it in the display, but we shouldn't have to do that.

I agree - I mean I can easily pick up my projector remote and display the 4:3 correctly but I'm used to my DVD player do it for me.

Hopefully the infamous March update will address this. The PS3 has so much potential but the software feels like beta at this point.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCHO /forum/post/0

I agree - I mean I can easily pick up my projector remote and display the 4:3 correctly but I'm used to my DVD player do it for me.

Hopefully the infamous March update will address this. The PS3 has so much potential but the software feels like beta at this point.

While you are playing a movie, if you hit Triangle, it will give you a list of options. Navigate over and up to "Screen Mode" and then use X to toggle between "normal" and "original" mode. I have no idea how they came up with those names, but original gives me bars around all sides and normal is, well, normal.

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.