AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble viewing 1.33 aspect ratio dvd's on my Samsung SLK407W lcd projection set. With both my Denon 1600 and Panny XP30 players the 1.33 movies "stretch" to fit the 16x9 screen, distorting the image. Doesn't seem to matter which aspect ratio I chose in the dvd player setup. I'm going component into the component dv input (which bypasses the set's internal line doubler). The Panny's instruction manual advised using the set's aspect ratio control if there was a problem viewing 1.33 movies, however going into my set's component input bypasses the set's aspect ration control. My old Toshiba 5700 get's the aspect ratio right with my set, but doesn't have the goodies the Denon and Panny have. Any suggestions as to how to fix this problem?

·
Registered
29,368 Posts
This a design flaw unfortunately found in a number of HD-ready displays. The set locks into 16:9 mode on any progressive scan signal regardless of whether the content is anamorphically enhanced or not. The only way to get around it is to turn off your DVD player's progressive scan for those discs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Don't know if it's 100% the set's fault though, as my Toshiba 5700 dvd player doesn't have the "stretch" problem -- it displays 1.33 movies correctly on my set. The Toshiba doesn't look as good, unfortunately as the Denon and Panny.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.