6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
340 Posts
This is exactly what an anamorphic lens such as the

Panamorph or ISCO does. There are some projectors

that offer an anamorphic lens as an option. Do a

search on this forum for more (lots more) info.

- Chris

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think I understand what you are getting at. Is this what you are saying: the gun can be compressed into a smaller space before it hits the phosphor on a CRT, why not do something similar with a digital projector...

The reason this works on a CRT display and not a digital projector display is because the CRT does not have fixed pixels, while the projectors do. So on a CRT the gun can be compressed into a smaller space. An LCD, for example, can't be compressed because the pixels are pre-formed of a fixed size and shape.

...Well, you can compress the image, but it has to be done after the fact, so to speak, with an anamorphic lens as mentioned by PhatPhreddy and Chris.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm thinking using less of the panel for instance Dila:1365x1024 4:3, 1365x768 16:9 and use the bulb to only light the 16:9 area, losing pixels I know, but using ALL the bulb brightness, focusing the bulbs entire lumens on the 16:9 area of the panel...

·
Registered
246 Posts
am I way off base or couldn't a digital type proj, lcd or dila, that is 4:3 native be designed so the 'light' can be compressed into the 16:9 area for full lumens similar to a crt compress raster before the panel is even lit????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.