AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, let's say that I watch 90% Dish Network (non Hd) and 10% DVD's. I currently own a Mitsubishi 4:3 Console TV that is 10 years old. I know that the future is full of promise of more & more hd programming but it is limited at best right now. I'm not into football (don't shoot me). So, knowing that I have dish network, what would provide the best picture for me right now? I'm not a huge fan of stretch modes but some are Ok. Would a 4:3 RPTV analog or a 4:3 digital or a 4:3 hd ready tv best suit my needs and give me a picture closer in quality to what I am watching now? Keep in mind that $$ is not an issue as far as buying a 4:3 rptv now and maybe upgrading 2 or 3 years down the road for whatever the future holds. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this question and would appreciate any and all input. Please be impartial :confused:

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
The general consensus among most 16:9 HD-RPTV owners is the regular 4:3 SD picture quality is worse than they had on their own direct view CRT sets. If this is 90% of what you watch AND you have very little desire to buy Dish HD, get an OTA HD receiver, etc. then you may not be ready for the brave new world of HDTV.

The next question is whether it makes sense for you to pay the extra $$ for a digital 4:3 set over an analog 4:3 set. A friend of mine recently got a 40" 4:3 Sony digital set and is very happy with his purchase. He is in an area with no OTA HD availability and generally just watches cable. A caveat here is that if you think a 16:9 digital purchase is really just around the corner for you then you may want to go with something cheaper for the interim.

I myself had a 16:9 set and quickly thereafter an HD receiver 5 or so years ago, when the only thing to watch was demo loops....but to each his own :).

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I suggest getting a digital widescreen RPTV,

just get a non-CRT technology so that burn-in

won't even be an issue. That way you'll have

widescreen for the limited DVD watching you do,

and you'll be able to keep your 4:3 pictures non-stretched.

Some stretch modes may be better than others, but

all stretching still sucks.

Unless you're on a tight budget for your new tv,

there's no super strong reason to resist making the

leap to widescreen now. Even if the price comes down

in the coming years, I find it difficult to believe it would

come down enough to offset the price of a interim 4:3 set.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
You can get yourself a dynamite 32" direct view 4:3 TV that will do a wonderful job of showing you all your Dish Network programs. A couple of years down the road, you can upgrade to whatever the latest and greatest HDTV technology is at that time. It's a very good option.

Or, you can bite the bullet and get a large screen 16:9 HDTV. It could actually make your Dish Network shows look slightly worse. On the flip side:

A) It will give you a spectacular cinematic experience watching DVD movies.

B) There is more HDTV programming that you can probably get NOW, though it may take some effort to obtain. Check it out, it's very cool.

C) As HDTV programing becomes easier to obtain, you'll already have your TV in place. Why wait to join the future?

D) Your friends will all be jealous.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
shootnpar - 90% dish, no HD and no football. Yeesch...I'd rather read a book than come to your house to watch TV.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Get the new Dish Network HD pack and I'll bet the 90% SD percentage will change drastically.

16x9 HD-ready is the way to go!

But to answer your question 4x3 analog is the closest to where you are right now...the dark ages! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.