AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im planin on buyin a xga lcd projecotr soon and like the majority of first time buyers of pj i hae this question. Should i run my pj and dvd in 4:3 ratio or the 16:9 ratio. Now majoirty of my viewing will be dvd's and hdtv so i know i should buy the 45*80 ratio screen (a 16:9 ratio) but my question is tat i heard when u run your pj in 4:3 ratio you use the full resolution of the pj but in 16:9 you loose a little. So wat should i do should i run my dvd and pj in 4:3 ratio and use all the resolution and get the 45*80 screen or run the pj and dvd in 16:9 ratio and get the 45*80 screen.....

ps ....if i run the pj and dvd in 4:3 ratio and get the 45*80 screen ill just move the pj back enough so the black bars just project above and below the screen......

any help is appreciated ....thanks

:confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm currently running my projector in 4:3 mode with no problems what so ever. I have built a parkland Plastics 16x9 screen and am planning on testing this with the Sanyo PLC-XW15 that I have. The question that I have... is there any other way beyond masking the top and bottom of the screen to remove the black bars when projecting at this aspect ratio?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am new to this, but I don't see how you can "use all the resolution" when projecting a 16:9 source using a 4:3 projector. You are going to lose 33% of your resolution and light to project black bars. The only way I know of is to buy an anamorphic lens for your projector ($600 - $1200). That will allow you to use your full resolution and most of your light.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Hey all!

The only way to allow you to use the full resolution of the projector while watching 16:9 is to use an anamorphic lens, such as the Panamorph. That optically compresses the height so that you have a 16:9 image while maintaining the full resolution display. The only other way to use the full resolution of a digital projector is to get a native 16:9 projector.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
And if you run the DVD in Pan and Scan (4:3) you're going to lose information from the DVD.

·
Registered
318 Posts
What I want to know is does running a 4:3 projector in its' 16:9 mode result in a loss of resolution of a 16:9 anamorphic dvd?

Let's say we have a 800x480 panel projector (like the AE100). It supposedly displays all the resolution of an anamorphic dvd.

If you use a 800x600 4:3 projector that has a 16:9 mode, would it not give you exactly the same resolution for a 16:9 signal that the 800x480 projector gives?

I don't care too much if I'm not using the full resolution of the projector. What I am interested in knowing is whether I'm getting the full "resolution" of an anamorphic DVD using a 4:3 projector's 16:9 mode as I would if using a wide panel projector.

Any comments are welcome.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey thanks everyone for their inpout really appreciate it....now i have the same question as vinanity......so if anyone got a reply to tat question it would be a big help....thanks again

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
If you use the 16:9 portion of an 800x600 panel you will use 800x450 of it's panel. If you use the 16:9 portion of a XGA you use 1024x576 of it's resolution.

The AE100and Plus Piano are actually 848x480 panel projector.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.