AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When setting up the 4:3 override on the Motorola 6200 cable box, I use the off setting instead of the 480i or 480p setting with my 45" Sharp LCD and 34" Sony CRT TVs. I use that setting because when I switch between HD and SD, I don't get garbage (which is anoying) on the screen during the switching process. There doesn't appear to be any degradation in quality by using that setting. Also on the Sharp TV, I have to use certain view mode settings with the setting being off or else I get a little line on the top of the screen.

What does the off setting mean? It seems to me that off should be the same as 480i.

·
Registered
105 Posts
According to the manual for the 6412 Phase III box, here is what the various modes mean:

OFF displays non-high-definition programs having a 4:3 aspect ratio in wide screen format. On an HDTV, black bars display on the left and right of picture. Selecting OFF for a 4:3 TV may result in a small picture with black bars around it.

480i displays non-high-definition programs in their original 480i format. Some TVs cannot display 480i format on their component video inputs (YPbPr). Check the TV manual for more information

480p converns non-high-defintion TV programs to a higher-quality 480p format. Some TVs cannot display 480p format on their component video inputs (YPbPr). Check the TV manual for more information

Stretch automatically streches all standard definition programming to fill your widescreen display. Stretch can only be selected if you have the TV Type set to 16:9

I personally use 480i as have a 4:3 HDTV and my projector stretches the picture to 16:9. I don't use 480p because I find the scaler in my TVs does a much better job then the built-in scaler of the 6412.

·
Registered
135 Posts
mterzich - Thanks for asking the question.

tdigden - Thanks for your answer.

I came across this option while I was setting up my TV last night. I couldn't notice a huge difference between the settings. What do other people have their cable boxes set to?

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.