AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to the DVD scene. Just picked up my first DVD player yesterday. A Panny RV31.

Here's my question. On the player, you can select three different output formats: 4:3 Pan&Scan, 4:3 Letterbox and 16:9 widescreen.

The manual even says that the 4:3 Pan&Scan feature is used to automatically zoom in on the picture so that it uses up the entire height of the TV display. Obviously you would be loosing information from both the left and right sides of the image.

Has anyone gotten this feature to work? I tried Amadeus and Phantom Menace and they both show up letterboxed even though the Pan&Scan feature is selected.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
110 Posts
No, you're not missing something.

This is a feature that I've never seen a DVD movie ever actually use. Apparently, the DVD movie producer can specify how the inherently widescreen movie can dynamically select the 4:3 sub window that would be used if the movie were to be shown on a 4:3 TV (as in a network showing of the movie). All I've ever seen is widescreen (letterboxed and anamorphic), 4:3 only (on which the disclaimer shows at the start of the movie "This film has been modified to fit your screen..."), and occasionally BOTH (widescreen on one side, and 4:3 on the other) - the Austin Powers movies do this.

If you have a 4:3 screen, I'd set it on 4:3 Pan&Scan, and run with it. If you ever actually get a widescreen movie that's tagged to use this feature, then you'd be set. Again, I've never actually seen a movie that does this.

Occasionally, on my 4:3 TV upstairs (my Home Theater's in the basement), I will set the TV aspect ratio to 16:9 widescreen. This allows me to see all the movie detail, but with 'skinny' people. My wife doesn't care much for this, buy my brain is fairly adept at filtering this out after about 5-10 minutes. And, yes, I'm an engineer!

Enjoy!

Brian

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brian. I get it now.

I tried flipping between the 16:9 and 4:3 setup as well and it's actually not too bad. As you said, your brain filters out the skinnyness after a while.

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.