AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16:9 screen and a 4:3 projector (X1). The native resolution of the X1 is 800x600. I want to know how to setup the video output (using Powerstrip I assume) so that the windows desktop fits in a 800x450 area. This will make the windows desktop fit my screen. I gather this has something to do with "porch" setting? I understand that the X1 needs to actually receive an 800x600 signal but with "porch" setting you can blank out 75 pixels on the top & bottom, thus giving an 800x450 windows desktop, correct?

I just don't know how to do it. Maybe there's another X1/HTPC user here who's already done this. Actually, it should work for any 4:3 projector.

Any input appreciated,

thanks

·
Registered
501 Posts
Can't tell ya, cause I don't know. But you may want to try and post this in the projector less than 5k forum. They play with powerstrip alot.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Second thought, can you just change the resolution on your video card?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, the video card needs to output an 800x600 signal, but with the top & bottom "porch" at 75 pixels, which makes that area unusable by windows, thus giving you 800x450 desktop area.

·
Registered
386 Posts
use powerstrip and add a custom resolution based upon your current 800x600 settings. There are numerous powerstrip threads on creating custom resolutions.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Thats the theory but....

When I had a SVGA projector I worked on this pretty hard with Ashley... we were never able to get it up and running at any rez sub 480 in the vert... It seemed as though 480 may be hardcoded into the drivers as the minimum vert rez and as soon as I went down to 800x479 it would pop to 640x480... In the end I gave up and used AR control to shift the image to the top of the screen for 16:9 viewing and used the zoom to put my 4:3 in the middle...

It worked out a happy compromise as it allowed me to use my PJ in 4:3 600x600 mode in the daytime for TV when I needed most light and used the zoom at night for movies...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to clarify, I'm not trying to change the resolution to 800x450. I want the videocard to continue to send 800x600 pixels at 60Hz to the X1. What I AM trying to do is limit the windows desktop to 800x450 pixels, with nothing projected on the extra top & bottom space.

Like this:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mbaxter/800x450.JPG

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
However that is seen as a 450x800 resolution with added porches to make up the overall rez to be SVGA...

Hey be my guest... Perhaps drivers have changed (this was an Nvidia card and a ATI 7500 but 2 years or more back)... perhaps PowerStrip has changed... Perhaps XP would work... Who knows...

I know I spent more than a month intermittantly playing around....

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Phreddy I think you're right, because I can't get it to work either. Messed around with it for hours last night but no luck. However I was able to feed the projector 800x480, which is pretty close. At least doing this I can see most of the windows desktop on my 16:9 screen. If I pull the taskbar up a couple of notches it's fine.

I guess the moral of the story is, if you go the HTPC route use a 4:3 screen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No, don´t say so. Please find a way to do what you want, and then tell me how you did it. :)

I´m using a HTPC to my Nec VT45 SVGA pj, and I want to use exactly what you try to do. For the time being I let the desktop use all 800x600 pixels, but as soon as I turn on Zoom Player I blank out the top and bottom 75 pixels. The only problem with this approach is when I need to do somethin other than play DVDs.

/Olof

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I'm with Phreddy on this one. When I used a SVGA pj, I never could get anything less than 480 regardless of porch settings.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You could use an anamophic lens to optically stretch your image onto the screen. The desktop would look short and fat, but if you can live with that, it will work perfectly. I'm thinking of doing this myself with my SVGA projector.

Tony

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tonypeps
You could use an anamophic lens to optically stretch your image onto the screen. The desktop would look short and fat, but if you can live with that, it will work perfectly. I'm thinking of doing this myself with my SVGA projector.

Tony
Well heck, I can do the same thing simply by setting the projector to 16:9 aspect. If you do that, it will squeeze the incoming 800x600 or 1024x768 signal to fit in the 800x450 pixel 16:9 area of the X1. But this goes against the 1:1 pixel mapping I was trying to achieve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Olof
No, don´t say so. Please find a way to do what you want, and then tell me how you did it. :)

I´m using a HTPC to my Nec VT45 SVGA pj, and I want to use exactly what you try to do. For the time being I let the desktop use all 800x600 pixels, but as soon as I turn on Zoom Player I blank out the top and bottom 75 pixels. The only problem with this approach is when I need to do somethin other than play DVDs.

/Olof
Yes, you understand my problem exactly. What it all boils down to is, we both made the same mistake: getting a 16:9 screen when we should have gone with a 4:3 screen instead.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Yeah its a bummer... It is not the HTPC per se though more the fact that with an SVGA projector the 16:9 is smaller (450) than the minimum windows config (480)...

Either a >SVGA projector or a anamorphic lens are the fixes :( Or using your zoom range to pillar box 4:3 content and zoom back and then shift the 16:9 panel to the to the correct placement of the screen (edge of panel)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am a bit confused if you use zoom player to squeeze your dvd to desktop moniter and then blow it up with an anamorphic lens why would that mess up your 1:1 pixel mapping and you would be able to use full resolution of your projector. BTW mike I do have a super panatar lens. let me know if u want to see it we can try to set it up with your pj and look at the pictures. drop me a pm if you are intrested. may be we can have another shoot out in tulsa

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by shiv
I am a bit confused if you use zoom player to squeeze your dvd to desktop moniter and then blow it up with an anamorphic lens why would that mess up your 1:1 pixel mapping and you would be able to use full resolution of your projector.

Did you mean to say, use an anamorphic lens to squeeze the projected 4:3 image down to fit the 16:9 screen? If that's what you're saying, yes you are correct that it would be pixel-to-pixel mapping and using full projector resolution.

But then what happens when you want to play 4:3 DVD's on your HTPC? Or watch TV or VCR thru the tuner card? Now you've got to physically remove the anamorphic lens every time you switch between widescreen DVD's and TV/VHS. Not a workable solution.

Hence the reason I wanted to set things up such that the projector can be left in 4:3 or native mode all the time, and have windows adjusted to fit an 800x450 sized area so that it fits on my 16:9 screen.

Quote:
BTW mike I do have a super panatar lens. let me know if u want to see it we can try to set it up with your pj and look at the pictures. drop me a pm if you are intrested. may be we can have another shoot out in tulsa
That's cool and thanks for the offer. In fact. I was thinking of a get-together at my house here in OKC. I was hoping I could get some of you guys to come down this time. I've got my home theater setup real nice now, and lots of room for people/eqpt/etc. It would be better suited for a shootout than where we got together last time.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Quote:
But then what happens when you want to play 4:3 DVD's on your HTPC? Or watch TV or VCR thru the tuner card? Now you've got to physically remove the anamorphic lens every time you switch between widescreen DVD's and TV/VHS. Not a workable solution.
Why ?? Any HTPC video application worth its reg fee has aspect ratio controll... Zoom Player or TT will auto pillarbox 4:3 content for you (better than projectors which often wont auto detect the content and hence you have to manually set the AR) for DVD's and dScaler will handle OTA / VCR / Etc...

The HD issue I am a little hazy on... I know ZP will play HD files with AR control but I dont know about HD playback apps bundled with the hardware cards.

·
Registered
103 Posts
But then what happens when you want to play 4:3 DVD's on your HTPC? Or watch TV or VCR thru the tuner card? Now you've got to physically remove the anamorphic lens every time you switch between widescreen DVD's and TV/VHS. Not a workable solution

Actually the super panatar lens has a dial on the top hence it is a variable anamorphinc lens if you dont need any expansion just turn the dial to 1 and bingo you have a unsqueezed image. it only works for long throw projectors though my NEC VT 540 is a tight fit aand I get a slight dark area at edge of screen which I plan to mask off any way. It does eat some bit of light about 10% I guess and picture is softer so I have zero screen door. BTW let me know when you have shoot out at OKC I will be glad to come if I am free. I can get my lens also so u can see it for yourself

·
Registered
103 Posts
OOps forgot to ask BTW do u know of any good place tulsa or OKC to get the glass prisms cleaned and also put a new antireflective coating. I am thinking of taking it to an optical store and see if they can do it

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the exact same problem whith a 16:9-screen and Nec VT45 as you described.

Did you solve it?

For me TV/video and DVD is no problem, I can do all the needed Configurations in the DVD-software-program.

The problems is as you described in DATA-mode (games and apps)

This little program deliver totally free Aspect Ratio... but only for DVD and TV-software players. Is it possible to run the windows desktop thru a application like this and get a small picture in the middle of the VT45?

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/htpc/..._download.html

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.