AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on buying a new 30" widesceen Toshiba. 30HF83 to be exact. What I am wondering, since I do still watch quite a bit of 4:3, more than I do 16:9, but that will obviously change in the future, is how a 4:3 image looks stetched to 16:9. I know it differs from set to set so input from Toshiba owners would be great. But, input from anyone will make me happy. Is the image very distorted, somewhat distorted, does it look unnoticable? Will I be able to watch regular TV streched and think it looks good, what about videogames? I know only I will know what looks good, but if the general deciousion here is good I'm sure I will be more than happy. Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Its worse on certain material then others. Some TVs have a special stretching mode which stretches more on the outside area which is not the focal point which look better on most material.

Worst case scenario is you have to put up with the black bars for watching that type of material.

You should be able to take a look at the stretching modes in your local store, which would give you an idea if you can tolerate it or not :)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I don't like it. it makes everyone stretched wide and camera panning nauseates. The 910 has a few trickier modes, one that looks better is "wide zoom", and I won't pretend to be smart enough to describe it precisely but it's kind of an anapamorphic compromise with a little cropping. Still, after a few hours of viewing I've found myself watching 4:3 at 4:3. I've forgotten completely about the black bars, partially because of the absolute blackness of front of the set, until I read this thread just now.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Ain't that just great! Someone can spend a few grand on a 16:9 TV, and over 75% of the time being content with watching a stretched, zoomed, or whatever 4:3 broadcast. Pal, you better think this one over again. Just exactly how much 16:9 HD material will you be able to view in your particular area???

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I watch my fair share of DVDs and will soon be getting HD cable but I still do and will watch SD cable and 4:3 video games, widescreen is just the wise choice for the future.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Whatever works for you is absolutely fine , but by the time the "future" finally arrives to most here in the US it will be time for a large screen plasma. I'm ranting a bit, but it seems this is the way the tech is moving...snails pace!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
i completely agree with cajieboy.

We all know 16:9 is the future, but noones know WHEN! that's why I first bought a Toshiba 65HDX82, but my wife and I really didn't like those fat-looking peoples... And Toshiba is suppose to have the best stretch modes on all the companies (along with Pioneer)!

That's why we use the 65HDX82 for DVD listening and HD. But for "normal" viewing (around 90% of the time we are in front of the TV!), we bought a Sony 40XBR800. So now it's the best of both world.

Some people can live with those stretch modes, but for me it was unbearable and annoying. It's only personnal taste.

I'm in the process of buying a D-ILA 16:9 projector. So the 65HDX82 will go, and the Sony 40XBR800 is a keeper.

So when (and god only knows when!) we will have over 50% of broadcast everywhere in 16:9 (5 years, 6 years? 10 years?), then I will probably have bought the newest toy in 16:9 that will come out.

But NOW, and I say NOW, 4:3 is still the way to go for me, because those stretch modes are like band-aids, there only to patch a temporarily problem, and they don't do it well...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Actually I've found that "wide zoom" looks very good and fills the entire screen.

I'm already enjoying the widescreen immensely. It's actually getting great usage. If you never watch dvd's maybe you shouldn't bother, but if you watch DVD well, widescreen is definitely "the norm". And tonight I watched a few CBS hi-def broadcasts and they were magnificent in all their widescreen glory. As far as when all shows will look good in widescreen well let's see how many shows are broadcast in HD when the fall season is in full swing, and you know a ton more shows will be high-def next season. And besides that I got the 910 mainly because it was the best quality set in its price range and I think of the widescreen aspect as just another plus.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
GregF, glad to hear you're enjoying your 910. I know it's an excellent TV and the right choice for you, but for me in 2003 the scant 3 hours in the evening of HD broadcast on only 3 Channels (if I'm lucky) is not enough to warrant dealing w/stretch modes, etc. over 90% of the time when viewing 4:3. You mentioned CBS...well, my local CBS affiliate does a cruel joke on its viewers by displaying gray bars on the side (most of the time) when broadcasting HD. I can't figure that one out. ABC's Monday Night Football is a real blast to watch in HD, and it's as sharp as anything I've seen on the PBS Loop. With HD & DVD's, I get a nice 37" diagonal screen, which is a decent size screen for me when viewing at approx. 9' away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.