Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

I just traded in the Mits HD400 for the Sony HD-100 because my unit was defective (couldn't lock in the DirecTV signal)...

But here's the problem now. I have the Toshiba TN55X81 RPTV (4:3) but I can't seem to get a regular HD 1080i signal to display correctly on the TV. Basically, I can't get the 16:9 material to display in its entirety (with the bars on the top and bottom)...it only shows up cropped (so the image fills the screen, but material is lost on the left and right). If I set it to 480i, I can stretch the screen, but the resolution is less (obviously)...

The Mits unit allowed you to select Letterbox, Cropped, stretched, whatever...but the Sony seems to lock you into only a couple of settings...

I know this isn't really clear, but has anyone else experiences similar frustration with the Sony?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone else tried this box with a 4:3 tv and had the same issues?

...this is disgusting....I had to jump through hoops to get my Mits swapped out for the Sony...now I have to go back AGAIN....

Also, the Sony box looks so much better than the Mits...the build quality seems better, and the remote doesn't seem as cheap....damn.

·
Registered
857 Posts
There is a menu option to select "Letterbox" which displays a 16:9 ratio picture or "Pan and Scan" which fills the screen.

I suppose you have already tried this though. If not you recach it by goin to the "TV properties" in the menu, the box just left of the "Exit Box" which is in the middle of the menu screen.

Good luck.

Henry

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When watching 1080i material that is 16:9, the image shows up cropped on my TV (no bars anywhere)...in this same mode (1080i), 4:3 material is squeezed down so that there are bars on the sides of the picture (which makes no sense to me)...

The problem seems to be that the "default and unchangeable" setting on 1080i is that the TV is 16:9 in letterbox mode...you can't select 4:3 in this mode....

·
Registered
33,590 Posts
grantwolf,

Seems hard to believe that this problem is not linked to some menu setting. Sony is making this box partly to satisfy the XBR400 crowd, which are all 4:3 sets. I can't believe they would make this box knowing that it will not display correctly on a 4:3 set. Recheck all your settings, it's probably easy to miss one critical menu setup.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sounds like you may have a defective box, unless there are compatability issues that we don't know about. You might try another box.

-Brett

·
Registered
857 Posts
Do you have the 4:3 option selected for your display device?

If you do you can display the 16:9 material either in "letterbox" which has black bars at top. You can also select "pan and scan" if the 4:3 option is selected. Your display will be a full frame 4:3 picture.

I am using the VGA out which allows the above controls. Not sure what happens if you use the component out.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Someone please explain: I have a Sony XBR400 and will be getting an HD100 tomorrow...When you view 4:3 HD does it show up on the XBR unit with black bars on the top, bottom and both sides ? If so, why and how much does this shrink the picture ? Does it become a 35" set or a 27" set, etc.?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bttt:

To recap:

When watching 16:9 HD material in 1080i mode (or Variable mode), the image shows up filling the ENTIRE screen, instead of as a 16:9 image with bars at the top and bottom. To see the entire 16:9 image, I'm forced to put the box in 480i mode.

The problem seems to be that the Sony doesn't allow for any aspect ratio adjustments in either variable mode or 1080i mode.

Perhaps this is a specific issue with my Toshiba TN55X81 and the Sony box.

This was not the case with the Mits. box.

Let me ask again: Does anyone who is using this box with a 4:3 TV have any problem viewing 16:9 material (with bars at top and bottom) in 1080i or variable modes?

I'm hoping a software update will fix this problem.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i have the xbr 400. the stb is set at 4:3 and pan and scan. in variable i get 16:9 or box in box or full screen depending and in 1080i i get only box in box or 16:9 and in 480i i get full screen.

I for one would have like to have a zoom function either on stb or xbr to get full screen all the time. i would like to know of an add on option for this as well because a full screen dvd beats vhs anyday

i know that the standard calls for box in box but its kinda silly if you own a non standard 4:3 set to begin with...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not surprised that the Sony box works well with the Sony TV sets...

Anyone using it with a Toshiba 4:3 RPTV?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RZ:

When you view 4:3 HD does it show up on the XBR unit with black bars on the top, bottom and both sides ?
FWIW, there's no such thing as 4:3 HD. All HD is 16:9.

Sometimes, a 16:9 HD signal may only contain useful content in the center of the frame, i.e., when the content is upconverted 4:3. But the TV has no way of knowing that the black areas on either side are extraneous stuff that you're not interested in. It dutifully takes the HD signal (always 16:9), adds black bars at the top and bottom to convert it to the aspect ratio of your screen, and displays it. So you end up with black bars all around - those on the sides added by the upconversion process, and those on the top and bottom added by the TV.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
When I set up my hd100 I noticed there was options for 4:3, but I don't remember what they were. I think they were under tv menu (4?). But I didn't check to see if they worked, I switched over to 16:9 and was out of there.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I actually started with the Mits. HD400 (same as Toshiba) for $650, but it was defective...and the place I bought it from didn't sell the Toshiba...so I traded up to the Sony. The Mitsubishi OTA HD material worked VERY well...very flexible...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
A fool and his money soon departs!

HTDV screen format is 16x9 not 4x3. Dump that 4x3 and get a real HDTV.

------------------

Bruce.in.Cary

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Speaking of fools (I love the irony here), the saying goes:

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

I watch approx. 75% 4:3 material, so why on earth would I want a 16:9 TV, only to deal with either a stretched picture or bars on the left and right all the time? A 16:9 set may be appropriate for some, but not for me.

Like I said, the Mitsubishi box worked just fine...this is an issue with the Sony STB.

...if you have nothing to add to this discussion, please move along.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.