AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the analysis of this over at projectorcentral.com. My first instict when searching for a projector was that I wanted 16:9 so i could display anamorphic widescreen dvd's and be ready for HDTV when I get a feed. I'm seeing there is going to be quite a bit of programming for HDTV next year and am very excited.

BUT... I want to be able to play videogames and watch an occassional sporting event on the projection. I own an xbox and some of the games support 16:9???

Here are my questions:

1. If i watch a 4:3 television signal or playing a videogame on my 16:9 screen, how will it look? I'm assuming that the grey bars on the side will be a big distraction. For those who are in this situation do you use your 16:9 screen for 4:3 cable or videogames? Would a 4:3 display/projector be better?

2. If I were to buy a 4:3 native projector and screen and put a 16:9 image on it, i will have the black on top and bottom. Am i losing the whole anamorphic 16:9 image glory??

I'm really torn by this but I would hope that more videogames on xbox would go 16:9 and more hdtv programming then this would be a non-issue.

I would hate to get a 4:3 screen/projector and then all this comes about in the next year or two.

I was going to get the X1 but its 4:3 native. I'm leaning towards the HS10 but am worried about black levels/shadow detail but it has the resolution for hdtv.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
The whole 4x3 native projectors shouldnt scare you. Until the this year, every digital projector outside of the Sony 10/11ht was 4x3 and they worked for everyone. Yes, the 16x9 takes full advantage of the 16x9 panels and you do lose something by playing 16x9 on a 4x3 panel, however, you can still get a great image going with the 4x3. If you go to the over 5K projectors, the hot projector of this moment is the NEC 1000 (look into it, it might be in your price range) and its 4x3 and no one is really complaining about it.

To your answers to 1 and 2, there will no difference on how the image appears on the screen if you have 16x9 or 4x3. It really depends on your screen type. Like I mentioned before, using a 16x9 on a 4x3 panel will not take full advantage of the panel. Its not that big of deal.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Quote:
1. If i watch a 4:3 television signal or playing a videogame on my 16:9 screen, how will it look? I'm assuming that the grey bars on the side will be a big distraction. For those who are in this situation do you use your 16:9 screen for 4:3 cable or videogames? Would a 4:3 display/projector be better?
Bars are black on the side.

I have no problems watching 4x3 material or playing 4x3 vid games on my 16x9 projector.

Yeah, a 4x3 projector would be better for 4x3 material....but for DVD and HDTV, a 16x9 projector is better.

Honestly, I don't think either choice is bad. Just depends on which is more of a priority: dvd & HDTV or reg tv and games.

I would like to mention though that many xbox games coming out these days are in 16x9 format and next year they'll be even a higher %. Also, I have read that next year most xbox games will be in 720p. In case you're wondering, 720p 16x9 xbox games on the big screen= gaming bliss.:) I have nba2k3 and tony hawk 4 that are both 720p.

·
Registered
22 Posts
paradigm,

Personally, I would always advise to match the projector to the screen you choose to use. Though with the ability of projectors to zoom in and out, even this isn't that big a deal.

To answer the question of anamorphic, you need to understand how the process works. I will talk purely in terms of the vertical resolution, as this is the only one affected. Horizontal always remains the same.

For NTSC, there are 480 lines of resolution to work with. Anamorphic expands the widescreen image vertically, exactly 1/3 more. To allow the image to display correctly on a projector with a 4:3 panel, it needs to have exactly 640 lines of vertical resolution to fit the original 480 lines of the image into 16:9 area of the projector. This is why a projector sized 800x600 is close enough to still appear quite sharp when displaying anamorphic DVD's squeezed back down into the 16:9 shape.

In reality, the choice will still come down to cost. A very good 4:3 projector will be cheaper then a very good 16:9.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rlindo: That is what I wanted to hear. Is there a list somewhere that shows me which xbox games are in 16:9 format? This is good to hear. I don't watch much television and if I did it would be HDTV as it would probably make me watch more.

Daniel: I'm going to research the HT1000. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
paradigm,

I purchased a 4x3 screen over a 16x9 screen mostly because the htpc will be used to consolidate the non-hidef sources.

I want to play pc games and xbox games (ht room is almost done). Some of the console multiplayer games (racing) use a horizontal split screen and you need the room from top to bottom.

Have you ever watched a 16x9 dvd movie on your computer monitor? What black bars ?

IMO, a dedicated 16x9 screen is a perfectly good waste of wall.

;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also have an X-Box and I went with a 16:9 PJ, the Sanzo Z1. I wanted a cheap one because it was my 1st, and I wasn't sure if I'd like it.

I watched a little bit of 4:3 from my Tivo via s-video - you get the full height of the projection but the sides are cut off. If your watching in the dark, which I assume you would be, you won't notice the "missing" picture. On the Z1, I don't remember grey bars at all, the picture just stopped.

Here's a list of 16:9 X-box games:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...?threadid=8539

If it's mostly for movies and X-box, I'd go 16:9

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
paradigm,

here is a site that is fairly accruate with what games are in which resolution, and in 16x9.

http://144.92.43.200/hdg/

Quote:
IMO, a dedicated 16x9 screen is a perfectly good waste of wall.
hehe. 16x9 screens look much cooler.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.