AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting the scientifi-atlanta 2000hd box on tuesday. What are my viewing options with a 4:3 Sony Wega(32hs20).

For example....If there is a HDTV broadcast in 4:3....that will take up my whole screen? And if there is a 16x9 broadcast...that will be like a widescreen dvd?

thanks

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
HD is by definition only 16x9.

According to the SA brochure for the 2000HD, it appears that box is designed for only widescreen displays (no options). So how a 4:3 program on a HD channel will be displayed on your Sony depends solely on how the Sony manipulates the signal.

Standard definition programs on a HD channel means the 4:3 picture is included in a 16x9 box with black side bars. On the 2000HD, that is we see here. (I have read that some DBS/OTA STBs offer options to strech the images.)

I would expect for you to see the SD image with black bars on either side of the 4:3 image. Hopefully, your Sony will allow you to stretch that out to fill the entire screen. I do not know. I do suggest you check your Sony's manual regarding that. SD programs on SD channels should be okay since you will have the option to use an S-Video connection if desired and display the 4:3 image on your 4:3 screen.

Good luck and please report here your observations.

Bruce

·
Registered
407 Posts
Did you get your box? I'm on the list and they canceled my installation while I was waiting for the tech guys to come with my box.

-Brett

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.