AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building an IB using 4 Acoustic Elegance IB 15 drivers. Room is 21 by 40 with some 10 and some 9 foot ceiling (though with some volume cut out by slope of the ceiling/roof from a 5 foot high kneewall ranging up to the stated max heights, so volume might be more like the equivalent of 8 ft height, say 6000 cu ft or so).


Worried I may overdrive those and flap the cones against the baskets. Think I should add 2 or 4 more? I know I should invest more time in trying to figure out Unibox or WinISD, but if some kind soul takes pity on a modeling boob ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,937 Posts
Modeling for ib really isn't that hard. Throw in your specs, choose sealed for the enclosure, and make your enclosure size ~10000 cubic feet. That will give you a rough response. The spl probably won't be correct, but it won't be off by much for the 1 meter measurement, but then you can factor in room gain for the low end. Estimate 6-12 db/octave gain on the low end.


If you can afford more drivers I would get them for the headroom gain if nothing else. It will be worth it for the cleaner sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,917 Posts
I'd say if your budget allows pick up 6 or 8 but if not you won't be disappointed with 4. If it were me I'd build it with 4 but have a plan in place in case I wanted to expand to 6 or 8. I just finished a 4 x AE IB15 of my own and have been very impressed! I actually have a plan in place if I ever decide to expand to 6 or 8 but for the time being I don't see that happening. Here's a max output FR I took a couple nights ago, you can read more about my IB on page 4 of the thread in my signature.




Note my room is smaller than yours (~4000 cuft I'd guess) but my floor plan is open with a 10'x10' opening to the rest of the house...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Thomas, I would, but I already have the 4 AE's. I bought them originally for a smaller (3000 cf) music room, but plans for that space have changed. My gut feel (and earlier plan) is I will be happier with 8 for the headroom. The way the budget is going, what's another 600 ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/16986732


I'd say if your budget allows pick up 6 or 8 but if not you won't be disappointed with 4. If it were me I'd build it with 4 but have a plan in place in case I wanted to expand to 6 or 8. I just finished a 4 x AE IB15 of my own and have been very impressed! I actually have a plan in place if I ever decide to expand to 6 or 8 but for the time being I don't see that happening. Here's a max output FR I took a couple nights ago, you can read more about my IB on page 4 of the thread in my signature.




Note my room is smaller than yours (~4000 cuft I'd guess) but my floor plan is open with a 10'x10' opening to the rest of the house...

Hey L'68,


Can you tell me what the increases in level were from the second trace (red trace) to the last one (gold trace)?


Thanks,


Bosso
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass /forum/post/16990318


Hey L'68,


Can you tell me what the increases in level were from the second trace (red trace) to the last one (gold trace)?


Thanks,


Bosso

For most of the increases I was going up 1.5dB on my Onkyo 805 although between the red and the one above it was a larger increase. Also the very top one may have only been 1dB but I don't remember any more, there was one trace that I had stepped a smaller amount and ended up deleting as I ran out of room.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/16990404


For most of the increases I was going up 1.5dB on my Onkyo 805 although between the red and the one above it was a larger increase. Also the very top one may have only been 1dB but I don't remember any more, there was one trace that I had stepped a smaller amount and ended up deleting as I ran out of room.

I don't wanna jack the thread. See my post in your thread.



Bosso
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top