AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the purchase of a bow-tie antennas. I live in a near suburb just outside of the Washington, DC city limits and would like to know whether the 4-bay bowtie will do just as well or better than the 8-bay bowtie. Also, Winegard's website mentions that a new line of HDTV antennas will be available soon, but doesn't say what type of antenna they will be. Would it be better for me to wait for a new HDTV antenna model instead of getting the bowtie antenna now? I want to avoid use of a rotor so I would like an antenna that is not very directional ?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ericlhyman:
I am considering the purchase of a bow-tie antennas. I live in a near suburb just outside of the Washington, DC city limits and would like to know whether the 4-bay bowtie will do just as well or better than the 8-bay bowtie. Also, Winegard's website mentions that a new line of HDTV antennas will be available soon, but doesn't say what type of antenna they will be. Would it be better for me to wait for a new HDTV antenna model instead of getting the bowtie antenna now? I want to avoid use of a rotor so I would like an antenna that is not very directional ?
An 8-element bowtie will give you approximately 3 dB (50%) more signal gain with some change in directivity characteristic. A rotor could be required if your OTA signals are not at the same location. Although you state you don't want a rotor, a omni or less directional antenna will open you up for more multipath and create a different set of reception problems. I would suggest you start with a 4-element array. Unless you're in hilly terrain or around a lot of tall buildings, it should work reasonably well, in my experience.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.