AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some cables and stuff that were used with the marquee 8000 that I recently picked up. There is a VGA to 5 BNC box (little black box which plugs into a 110 outlet) and a nice long 4 BNC cable.

Is there a quality difference running both sync signals together like on a 4 BNC vs using a 5 BNC?

Since you can have a straight VGA to BNC breakout, what exactly is the little black box doing? Does it boost the signal or something? Is there any harm in using it?

Thanks,

-Nathan

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The 4 BNC outputs are simply combining the H & V sync into one cable. It is perfectly acceptable to actually use a BNC 'T' connector and combine them yourself if you so desire. As far as quality goes? I can't give you a definitive answer, but the sync simply provides the signals that tells the projector what size and rate to draw the RGB information in H and V. Either your projector IS doing it correctly, or it isn't (screen size shifting, or video rolling).

For the sake of argument, I'd try to stay with the H & V as separate signals if possible. The more 'broken out' the signal, the better your chances of a cleaner signal.

I'm assuming that the RGB box that outputs the 4 BNC's is an Extron box. If you have, or can get an HD15(VGA) to RGBHV BNC break out, I'd certainly loose the Extron. All it's going to do is add another connection which will add noise to your signal.

Hope this helps, especially a fellow Utahn... even if you are from 'Happy Valley' :)

Oz

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Oz.

Well, I have gotten it to work fine with the 4 BNC with none of the problems you mentioned. So, I guess I will stick with it for now until I can afford the 4-5 meter VGA to 5 BNC from bettercables.com or somewhere. At which point the cable will become the single most expensive piece of my setup to date, hence my reluctance.

Thanks again,

-Nathan

PS. Don't worry, I am slowly moving northward. I just moved from Provo to Lehi and can be over the point of the mountain in 5 minutes from my driveway. Maybe soon we will make it the rest of the way over. :)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
That's good news. You might consider selling that Extron Box on eBay, or in the classifieds here on AVS forum. It won't get you much, but it would help go towards the purchase of the VGA to BNC cable if you think it might help. Another option would be to continue using the 4 wire cable you have now (if they are high quality), and purchase the same cable in a single to become your 5th cable. For the most part the cable shouldn't be exposed, so nobody would even be able to tell that your H or V was not bundled with the rest of them.

If you want a good Transparent VGA cable, a 25 foot length of RGBHV is about $1000 retail. Ah, that 'Better Cable' brand is looking MUCH more reasonable now, eh?

One of these days we'll have to get all interested Utahn's in the forum to do a projector tour of all the projectors in the area (probably just you an me for now). I could show off a G90 a Madrigal MP9 and a D50 here in downtown SLC for starters.

Oz

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eventually I will probably cave in and get the cable. I have a while since I am still at ground zero on my theater. I have the projector, most of the HTPC, and an unfinished basement. I am going to try and do the room correctly from the start and upgrade the equipment as I go. But I would be more than happy show it off when done, if ever. :rolleyes:

I know there is at least one other person up in your area, who has posted questions about a Marquee 8000 like I have got.

-Nathan

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hello, I had the extron box and it is ok for lower resolutions but at 1200*1800 @72 it just didn't work. So I used a cheap short breakout cable and a good quality 25' 5 bnc cable. The ghosting was mostly gone, but it seemed like some detail was missing. Then I asked KBK to modify my Radeon card and add the 5bnc connector to it, and the difference was remarkable....I'll post a little note on this on the HTPC forum, but it was worth the $ to do this. And now I have a straight through 5bnc cable.......very crisp..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.